2 Month old 16G Bowfront Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
looks good any pics of your new rock?? The little tiki hut is cute haha. Salinity and temp isn't too too important, as long as it doesn't go way off the charts

Thanks. It's fun to watch the crabs climb all over the tiki hut, and it provides a good hiding place for fish (the azure damsel hangs out in there). It will probably go to make room for the rock, though. I might try to keep and incorporate the other (cave) decoration into the aquascaping with the new rock.

Carey: I love moonlights, too. This tank is in my home office (I work from home) and sometimes I just hang out in the dark at night with the moonlights on because it is relaxing. Or with the regular tank lights on, for that matter. That's the great thing about aquariums, they are so nice to sit and watch. :cool:

Added 2 peppermint shrimp and 1 emerald crab to the CUC today. Checked water parameters in both the display tank and the curing LR tank. Nothing too exciting going on there. Only a very small amount of ammonia in the LR tank from the shrimp I added to start the cycle.checked out the corals at my LFS. Getting excited to start my reef.

Thanks! I am pretty happy with it. How long do zoas usually take to open up after you get them placed in your tank? Some of mine are open and looking happy, but a lot of them are still closed up.

I might see if I can find a hammer coral or frogspawn frag that I like for a centerpiece, to top off the new rock. :)

Zooas are funny, they usually open right up but sometimes they close on me for no apparent reason. lol Give em some time they'll come around. :-D

I have a hammer, LOVE it! It's about doubled in size in my tank over the last 2 months, it was one of my first corals.

Hammers are beautiful corals. I love the colors. Frogspawn, too. I am hoping that my little ocellaris clown will take to one or the other if I get both, but I am more than happy to enjoy them for their own beauty if he won't host them. I am really glad to hear that yours has grown quickly. That makes me feel better about getting a small frag, since I don't want to pay a ton for a bigger one.

Looks good! Your clown will probably love the frogspawn/coral too! I've read they can host hairy mushrooms too (might be safer for the clown since there is no skeleton). My smaller clown has hosted my green striped mushroom, I'm very excited and hope the larger one follows.

Hammers are beautiful corals. I love the colors. Frogspawn, too. I am hoping that my little ocellaris clown will take to one or the other if I get both, but I am more than happy to enjoy them for their own beauty if he won't host them. I am really glad to hear that yours has grown quickly. That makes me feel better about getting a small frag, since I don't want to pay a ton for a bigger one.

Yes they do grow very quickly with proper water changes, I'm constantly fragging mine! It's a perfect beginner coral in my opinion, one of my favs!

Thanks Kelsey. That's good to know, since a Lavender Mushroom is also on my list of corals for my tank.

So many corals, so little money I can get away with spending on them before my wife gets upset. ;)

Added 2 small and 1 medium sized hammer coral frags tonight as the centerpiece of the tank. Placed them all together right in the middle at the top of the rock, where the light hits them best (especially at night, under the moonlights). This will be all I'll be adding for a while. The tank looks really great! I'll add some pics tomorrow.

Can anyone tell me the best way to get corals off of those ugly plugs they glue them to at the LFS?

Also, anyone have any experience or recommendations for trying to get my clown to take to the hammer corals?

Looks nice, I just pull my corals off trying not to touch the corals tissue at all. Could get some something to try to snip it off too. To get the clowns to host, just patients i guess, I've never heard of any tricks to speed up the process as of yet.

I have heard of people putting the clowns with the anemone (coral, in this case) in a bucket or small tank for a while to introduce them. I also know that people have placed an anemone in their clown's favorite spot to encourage hosting. But that won't work here, since my little clown loves the little area right above the heater in the top rear corner of the tank. I'll just wait and see what he does.

Learn something new every day! Clown hosting yet? Mine were in the tank almost a week before they noticed the mushrooms but they were probably getting used to the tank as well.

Just got home from 5 days in warmer weather while my wife was on spring break (she teaches high school). The tank and fish are all doing great. The zoas are all fully open and looking great, as are the other corals. Looks better than ever! :)

The clown still isn't hosting any corals yet, but he is swimming out away from his favorite corner more than he did before the live rock went in the tank last week. Hopefully it's just a matter of time.

The water quality is super stable with the live rock in the tank, too. I wish I had known from the start how valuable that could be! I can't imagine a tank without live rock any more!

Back
Top Bottom