2 Month old 16G Bowfront Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The last of my 3 electric blue legged hermits was killed this morning. I'm not sure what has been killing them off one by one. I thought they were killing each other, but as this is the last one that must not be the case. I wonder if it was my coral banded shrimp. Although I don't think he was even in the tank until after one or two of the hermits had already been killed. Any theories?

So, it turns out that my Electric Blue Hermit was not killed after all. Although there was definitely what appeared to be an electric blue hermit's carcass in the tank yesterday. But when I went to move the shell I saw that it was still housing a live hermit. I am still down from 3 to 1 of these guys, but I'm confused where this recent carcass came from. :confused:

Does it look like a whole dead hermit when they molt?

Anyway, my powerhead (a Penguin 660R) started making an awful noise the other day and now it makes it whenever it is on. My Penguin filter did the same thing before I replaced it with an Emperor. The impeller shafts on Penguin products are just very poorly designed and do this all the time (I'm done buying Penguin products :banghead:). So I went onto Amazon and ordered a Hydor Koralia Nano 240 gph powerhead to replace the noisy Penguin. It should be here in about a week.

I'm going to be moving my aquarium downstairs into a spare bedroom in my basement (along with my home office) in the next week or two. I've been dreading the move because it's going to be quite a bit of work, but once it's finished I'll have room to start a new tank. :)

I was planning on using an unused 10 gallon tank I have laying around, but I might see if I can find an inexpensive 26 bow front or a 30, and get that set up without too much extra cost. I'd love to have some extra room to get a few new fish and set up another reef tank.

I'm getting stoked. Any suggestions you guys think would be fun to have?

Coral banded shrimp can/will definitely kill smaller hermits. Since your coral banded is fine as with your coral it wouldn't be ammonia. They really get active at night so see what he does when the lights go out.

PS: Do you have shells for them to move into as they grow? They kill each other if they are unhappy with their homes.

Yeah, there are lots of extra shells in the tank. I got them to stop them fighting over shells and they have switched to new shells several times. I think they must have killed each other and the one remaining electric blue hermit is the champion. The coral banded acts tough whenever the peppermint shrimp get too close, but they can always get away and he doesn't seem to care about hermits in their shells. The water parameters are perfect and stable, so it's not that. And all the small scarlet hermits are perfectly fine.

I'm pretty sure I've had about 2 or 3 blue hermits disappear too, I can't even find their shells or bodys but I know I started off with four and now I usually can only find one, maybe two. It's just a mystery I guess haha.

Last week I picked up some supplements for my reef and already I can see a huge boost in growth, especially in my brain and hammer corals. It's amazing what a difference this stuff makes!

What I use:
-Seachem Reef advantage calcium
-Seachem Reef buffer
-Seachem Reef plus vitamin & amino acid supplement
-Seachem Reef iodide

Noticed tonight that both of my peppermint shrimp are holding on to a whole bunch of eggs. I took some pics of them and of the tank in general, with my new Hydor Koralia Nano 425 installed (love it! smaller, quieter and more powerful than I expected it to be!). I'll have them up tomorrow.

New Pics

You can see the surface agitation from the new Hydor Koralia Nano 240:

IMG_0370 by blissinpa, on Flickr

IMG_0367 by blissinpa, on Flickr

IMG_0362 by blissinpa, on Flickr

IMG_0360 by blissinpa, on Flickr

IMG_0355 by blissinpa, on Flickr

Brain Coral:

IMG_0353 by blissinpa, on Flickr

Peppermint shrimp packing eggs:

IMG_0351 by blissinpa, on Flickr

Zoanthid Garden:

IMG_0332 by blissinpa, on Flickr

And of course there are lots more pics on my Flickr photostream if you want to check them out.

I like that little blue fish. What is it? Some kind of wrasse?

MABJ: it's an Azure Damselfish. I like it, but it's territorial (like all damsels) and won't let my clowns near the reef, or even out of the top back corner of the tank, so he'll either be going into the next tank I do or staying in this one with something bigger than him (if the new tank is bigger than this one and I want to move all the other fish to the new one).

Kelsey: mine is a Favites Brain Coral. An Acan is another type of brain coral (but it's not what I have), and blastos look quite different than mine does. It isn't an Open Brain Coral, which I think may be what most people think of when they hear brain coral.

Changes

Changes are taking place in the tank today...

I decided that I had had enough of the azure damselfish keeping my clowns locked in the top corner of the tank, so I took it back to the lfs. While I was there I decided that I was going to go ahead and spend a little money...so...

I ended up bringing home a nice looking Bird's Nest Coral and a beautiful juvenile Koran Angelfish! I am very excited about both and will post a few pics right away.

Catching the damselfish turned out to be quite a task, and required a pretty significant rearranging of all the live rock and corals. I'm really pleased with how it all turned out, though. :D

Back
Top Bottom