Diving Into Saltwater- 10 Gallon Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettababe1011

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, I've been saving up to get the stuff to start a ten gallon reef tank, and I finally have everything I need for now, except for the lights. But they're not my top priority right now, since I won't be getting any corals for a few months. Tomorrow I'm going to get some live rock from my lfs and start my cycle. I'll post pictures later today, and then after I get the rock in the tank.

Okay, I'll look into getting that fixture. :)
And I'm planning on 1 firefish, 1 watchman goby, a tiger snapping shrimp, and a few snails. I just got the live rock, so I'll get pictures later.

So, I need to start my cycle, but I just realized I don't have a saltwater test kit. Will the API Freshwater master test kit work for saltwater? I've been told I just need a different card, but it'll still work. How would I go about getting just the card? Could I email the company?

And here are some pictures! :) Finally. Also, the light that's on top of the tank is just temporary. I need to get one that would work for corals.

Attachments

• image-218230365.jpg
    image-218230365.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 244
  • image-1206342906.jpg
    image-1206342906.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 220
  • image-3844078683.jpg
    image-3844078683.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 218
  • image-1018771956.jpg
    image-1018771956.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 228
I've read if you have the saltwater card it will work. Probably can search it on google and match it...might not be very accurate. (API isn't super accurate anyway).

I heard of someone emailing the company an having them send a saltwater card to them in the mail but google seems more effective :huh:

So, I had put ammonia in my tank to start the cycle, and now my parameters are down to
Ammo: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20

The nitrates were around 80, but I did a big water change to get them down to 20, maybe ten. It was between colors on the chart. And the water change was really hard with a fractured wrist. Anyway, would I be okay to get a firefish today, or do I need to get the nitrates down more?

20 is fine for fish. Anything under 40 isn't harmful. Closer to zero is always better to fend off algae, but I would say adding a fish is the order of the day!!!! :) have fun!!

Pufferlove said:
I heard of someone emailing the company an having them send a saltwater card to them in the mail but google seems more effective :huh:

Yes exactly. The freshy kit will work for salt..just email API for the card

Yeah, I just found the cards on google to test the water. And now if my mother will take me, hopefully I can get a fish today. :)

Well, turns out I won't be getting any fish till maybe Wednesday, cause the lfs doesn't have any in. But my mom said she would take me to get a couple snails. What snails should I get, and how many?

For a 10g, I would avoid turbos-they get too big. Astrea, banded trochus, cerith are good. And some Nassarius to stir the sand. Maybe a hermit or 2? I like scarlet reef hermits cuz they're less likely to kill snails. Have fun!!!

I did the same thing with my API kit. I have the freshy one. I emailed API and they just had me mail 2 dollars (for the shipping costs) and they sent me one. Since I tend to spill water everywhere no matter what I'm doing, it was worth it to get the actual card rather than just one I printed out because it kept getting water all over it and messing up the colors on the chart. An printer ink is so darn expensive so it saved me money not having to keep printing them out, lol.

Tank looks good! I'm new to the salty world as well and have a 10 gal. :)

So, I got two hermit crabs and two snails. Everyone seems to be settling in nicely. :) I'll post pictures of them tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom