New nano skimmeer help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miketeachme

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 24 gallon nano cube. In a month I have added salt water tested with API added live sand and rock. I added a heater in the pump chamber. I am told I need a protein skimmer. What's the difference between the skimmer and the uv pump attachment? Do they both perform the same function?

An ultraviolet sterilizer will help kill things like single cell algae (green water) and other harmful microscopic organisms whereas a protein skimmer will help pull proteins out of the water with a mixture of water and micro air bubbles. Both are good additions but if I needed to choose I would definitely do the protein skimmer first.

Soloist said:
An ultraviolet sterilizer will help kill things like single cell algae (green water) and other harmful microscopic organisms whereas a protein skimmer will help pull proteins out of the water with a mixture of water and micro air bubbles. Both are good additions but if I needed to choose I would definitely do the protein skimmer first.

+1 well put. A skimmer isn't even necessary on a tank this size if your doing weekly water changes. Also the sterilizer won't kill your pod population it only kills things like bacteria and as stated above other single celled organisms like green water.

Back
Top Bottom