75 gallon reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yea, and it has new ati bulbs in it. I hear they are the pretty good bulbs

ATI bulbs are great, they are top quality with Geissmann. How many watts is the fixture?

Thrilled with the new lights...

Old setup
img_1266315_0_2b74c1be8ddd6bc60ccc2f520069028b.jpg
[/IMG]

and NEW
img_1266315_1_7be8da788a63c7bff301d9497bdfdd44.jpg
[/IMG]
img_1266315_2_5690e5ab3ac908f1b2e9098ae2207812.jpg
[/IMG]

I want mushrooms, GSP, and a frogspawn to start with. I am going to isolate mushrooms and GSP on a single rock on the sandbed. Anyone feel like donating a frag lol

I'm still waiting for my tax return, then I'll get my Current fixture. How quiet is the setup? Hot? The lights look great!

where are you located? there are plenty of shrooms and zoas in the gym tank. i can cut you some.

Im in Springfield, IL and Im open for any type of beginner coral. Prefer bright colors of course, but I guess beggers can't be choosers

Feeling a little worried about water parameters. I have been told for the hardy corals I will be dealing with, calcium and carbon hardness are the most important things besides basic water parameters, but how far outside the opitmal range will be ok from day to day? Also I have a lot of evaporation, probably a gallon a day this raises my salinity a bit but how much will this really affect the coral if it goes a day or two without topoff? Also I should mention I have no protein skimmer, but I do weekly 5 gallon water changes. Basically I just need some helpful advice, maybe some tricks you have learned.

Another parameter to check for is phosphate. Too high of levels can retard your calcium making it un-useable by your corals. Just a thought :)

what are the average parameters? i have had luck with a lot of corals without steady calcium and alk levels. what are the corals you are interested in?

btw, for the softies and stuff from the gym tank, you would need to pay for shipping, and insulated box, plus a heat pack. all tolled, an average of 35 bucks or so for that stuff. local pickups might be cheaper. have you googled local reef clubs in the area?

what are the average parameters? i have had luck with a lot of corals without steady calcium and alk levels. what are the corals you are interested in?

btw, for the softies and stuff from the gym tank, you would need to pay for shipping, and insulated box, plus a heat pack. all tolled, an average of 35 bucks or so for that stuff. local pickups might be cheaper. have you googled local reef clubs in the area?

well I want some mushrooms, zoas, hammers, frogspawn for now.

one of my friends has a reef tank, looks like he may be gibing me several things.

I never check my parameters unless something looks off (algae outbreak, fish breathing heavily, or corals that have been closed up for a few days), your weekly water changes should keep everything in check. I just make sure the salinity and temp of the new water matches the water in the tank so the corals aren't shocked by any change. You can research the type of salt you use as well and compare it to others.

quite honestly, for those corals, i wouldn't even test the water. i would do weekly 15% water changes and watch my feeding and rest easy.

Back
Top Bottom