A setion of my zoos havent opened up for a week now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weemanpow3

Aquarium Advice Freak
Please dont ask for water peramitors because they are all perfect. All of a suden their are little, little pods runing around it and the sea slug things on it. I dont now if thats the casue of the zoos not opening up in that area. the area is right under my light and has been doing great until last week. What can I do now. This is the sea slugs on the zoos. Their is hundreds of them. Please help me.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=86220

By "it" are you talking about your zoo colony? Have you recently moved the zoos higher up in the tank? You say they are right under the light? 250W MH over 30 gallons is quite alot.

Sorry, I don't know about the sea slug. Did you do what Fluff suggested in your other thread and see if you could ID it?

The sea slugs could very well be the culprit. And they would seem suspect since you said they are seen on the zoos. They could be munching, or just irritating the zoos. Any way you can remove the slugs for better photos? Or, you could try over at the sea slug forums. http://seaslugforum.net/

I would vaccum them off using a peice of rigid air hose and a 1 gal water jug to catch the water....then dump the water through a net back into your tank.

You could also consider dipping the coral in an iodide solution to rid unwanted slugs and also bacterial infections.

Im gonna buy the iodine stuff and dip my zoos in it. The slugs are eating my zoozs right up and now their are thousands of them that are so small.

Those are nudi branches and you need to quarantine the zoos. They breed like crazy and the eggs are so small you can't see them. You will need to quarantine and treat the zoos for them or you will lose them all. Just dipping them won't get them all because it won't kill the eggs.

weemanpow3 said:
How do I quarentine them.

You have to set up a seperate tank. A small ten gallon tank works good. Add a heater and a powerhead. Some folks have hang on skimmers which is good to have. Use water from you tank but don't hook it up to the tank as you will be treating the QT tank and don't want that water in your tank. PLace the zoo rock in there and treat it there. You will want to keep them there for about 45 days which I think is the life cycle of the eggs. Treat as indicated by what ever chemicals you want to use and do frequent water changes.

zoos

"Lugol's iodine is suppose to be the best.

I have a great link on how to do this and be succesful. It seems to have worked for everyone and the zoos do fine. Just QT would take a long time if there are nudi eggs.

Am I aloud to post a link from another site. If I can't PM me and I will send it to you

good news. Yesterday my mom did a 1 minute RO/DI water dip and didnt tell me about it and she said alot of the nudi branches and egg strings fell out and died and I just did another this morning and more just died and eggs fell out. Today I went to my local fish store and picked up some Lugol's iodine and I dipped the zoo and I followed MUCHO REEF's zoo dip and I got all the nudi branches and I took out alot of egg strings (15-20 strings) and I might have gotten them all, but I will take further inspection just to make sure they are all gone.

MUCHO REEF's zoo dip thread:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=451720

Thanks for the link Mike469

No problem at all. It is one of the best articles I have ever read for this.

Just make sure you really check close for the eggs because as he mentions in the artice they wont come off when you swich it around.

I have about 4 zoos and did not dip anyone so I am hoping for the best. All future zoos will get this.

Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom