Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-12-2007, 08:56 AM   #91
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Bought a roll. It doesn't bend easy, I'll add a pic sometime, but you won't get batwings out of it for sure.

I think I lost my parrotfish. This really bothers me. I've had him over a year, and he was the only fish that like me - he would brush against my hand - almost like a cat - when I'd have my hand in the water. I hope he was just sleeping or hiding, but I looked for him for over an hour last night, and its not like him to hide.

180G All-glass with dual megaflows in a custom stand
AquaC EV-180 skimmer
250 pounds LR
160 pounds aragonite
Custom acrylic sump from GlassCages.com
2xPCX-40 return pumps
2x250MH 14K, 2x175MH 14K - PFO lighting, 2x65W PC
No-name 36W UV
Water General 125GPH RO/DI
Filstar XP3
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:36 AM   #92
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Jayhawker518
Sorry for you maybe could of loses. I have to say those this post is very addicting. I look forward to reading your progress like everyday. Tank looks amazing. I dont know about everyone else but I think its time for some updated pictures!
Good luck

Old 07-12-2007, 09:55 PM   #93
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Still no princess parrotfish. She's gone, I'm sure.

On the upside, new bulbs and wiring / sockets came today, but no MH ballast yet. Grrrr.

Also - water did not cloud up today nearly as much as previously. The activated carbon and newly cleaned canister filter must be working. Also, the sump socks aren't dirtying up as fast.

I am concerned I have a 9" fish rotting in the tank somewhere. I'm afraid to move the rocks to look, there are too many fish (mandarin, sand goby, blenny) all live within.

(UPDATE 7/13)

Sorry about the big pics. These were from late last night when I was doing some maintenance. I'll get better pics when I have some more time.

The note on the canopy door is for the cleaning people to know not to use any cleaning agents around the tank. You can tell from the pics that 2x175W is not nearly enough light. I've mounted them in the center positions, with the intention of installing the new reflectors on the outside positions, but moving the 250W's to the center.

Started putting holes in the canopy for cooling fans, but the battery died on the third hole. Temp is staying around 82-83 now with the 2 MH. I'll definatley need to put some fans in there when I add the 2 MH's.

The top-off float valve hookup is leaking. Evaporation isn't too bad, and the sump holds about 15G from full to when the pumps are sucking air, so I'll just have to check it every day or so.

Sump socks are now going 2 days before overflowing and needing cleaned.

Also - realized my light timer wasn't working - somebody who was working late last night told me they weren't shutting off. I put a new timer on. That couldn't have been very good for the fish or corals, but was only setup that way for a couple days, if not just 1 night. I confirmed they shut off last night.

One of the new additions - blue trigger. Beautiful fish. The clown trigger hid after the first flash went off.

Last pic to show how it fits into the kitchen/dining room.

AquaC EV-180 skimmer
250 pounds LR
160 pounds aragonite
2xPCX-40 return pumps
No-name 36W UV
Filstar XP3
Old 07-13-2007, 09:21 AM   #94
Aquarium Advice Freak

OK, I lurk more than post here, but I just gotta say that your tank is gorgeous! 8O
Old 07-13-2007, 10:07 AM   #95
Aquarium Advice Addict

STUNNING! Not just the tank, but the entire space. It has sure come a long way...nice work!
Old 07-13-2007, 10:22 AM   #96
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to artoledo Send a message via MSN to artoledo Send a message via Yahoo to artoledo
WOW Scoot! Beautiful tank and home. Sorry to be so nosy. l0l

-----Armando-----
artoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:36 AM   #97
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks all. Now that I dont' have a parrotfish (sob, sniff!) I can start looking at stony corals... I think everything else I have is safe with pretty much everything but inverts.

AquaC EV-180 skimmer
250 pounds LR
160 pounds aragonite
2xPCX-40 return pumps
No-name 36W UV
Filstar XP3
Old 07-14-2007, 01:55 AM   #98
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Tonight - did get a little clouding, but much less than last night. Barely noticable.

Lights are shutting of at the right time.

Probably 1,000 or more people came through the house tonight - as part of the Street of Dreams home show here, and the aquarium got a ton of attention. I overheard (yeah, evesdropping) lots of wow's, oohs and ahhs, when people saw it walking into the kitchen.

The house got a little hot - doors were open all night. The tank got up to about 84. Still need to get those cooling fans installed.

Not counting plumbing parts, tubing, and existing hardware (2x175 MH, XP3 filter, UV), the project came to around $2K. I don't have a price for the cabinet and canopy because that was part of the overall kitchen cabinet system. I did probably spend a few hundred of the vinyl tubing.

(Update, 9:40PM)

Water looked great today. Fish look great. Temp is better since I put 3 3 1/2" holes in the canopy. Fans will come later, but even though the house was in the 80's, the water was still steady at 82. Sump socks need cleaned, and my overflow valve is leaking (stripped it a little putting it through the hole in the side of the sump).

Anemone's are moving from the left and right ends towards the middle. One has moved quite a bit, but is staying up on top of the rocks, closest to the light. Need my 250's.

The triggers love krill!

AquaC EV-180 skimmer
250 pounds LR
160 pounds aragonite
2xPCX-40 return pumps
No-name 36W UV
Filstar XP3
Old 07-16-2007, 01:32 AM   #99
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was trying to sleep the other night, wondering what could have happened to my parrotfish.

The only thing that kept coming to mind, was that she somehow jumped into the overflow. They're pretty big, but she's a big fish, so I really didn't think that'd be possible.

I decided, just in case, to look down in the overflow chambers tonight with a flash light. I saw something moving. Sure 'nuff, it was her. I pulled out the standpipe, which of course caused all the water to drain out of the chamber. Reached down, felt around (this is a tall overflow chamber). Felt something, gently scooped her up, and lifted her out and set her in the water.

Within 5 minutes, she was back to nibbing on my LR and swimming around. Just amazing. I'm very happy.

It wasn't easy putting the overflow standpipe back in. It's an akward place to work. I've got the measurements to cut some covers for the overflows so this doesn't happen again. I'll secure them with a few drops of silicone.

Tomorrow, I'm going to check the other overflow for the missing chromis - I don't have my hopes up, that one was acting funny for a few days before it dissappeared.

A b it of bad news - the new blue trigger has a slightly cloudy right eye, with two white spots (not ich - these are more like white smudges). Planning on a big water change tomorrow, hope that helps.

AquaC EV-180 skimmer
250 pounds LR
160 pounds aragonite
2xPCX-40 return pumps
No-name 36W UV
Filstar XP3
Old 07-16-2007, 10:23 AM   #100
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to artoledo Send a message via MSN to artoledo Send a message via Yahoo to artoledo
Hey Scoot, take a pic of that Parrot fish to see how its doing.

-----Armando-----
artoledo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
180 gallon, build, build thread, pics, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com