Build thread - 180 gallon - final tank pics added 7/22

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Will do. Everythings looks great today - water is very clear, and the temp is under control with the cooling fans.

I went with 2 PC type cooling fans that have 3 speed levels - and some pretty lighting effects. Hooked them up in parallel to a 1000 milliwatt 12V DC transformer.

They only come on when the MH's come on, so the lighting is not noticable at all. I wish I had some sort of temperature/thermostat to run the fans.

They were cheap ($10 ea.), locally available, and I needed them quickly.

With all the people going through the house, the ambient temp was going from 69 in the morning from the doors being open most of the time with people coming and going (where they have it set to supercool the house), to 84 in the afternoon. I didn't expect the house to heat up that much, but I also didn't expect it to be near 100F this week ;)

I have my dual 250W MH setup and reflectors. The PFO 15" reflectors are nice - very mirror like.

Ellisz, did you mount yours directly to your canopy, or hang them in some way? I'm looking at options, like building a hanging bracket to keep them away from the top of the canopy and heating up the wood (melanine actually) in there.

I run my fans 24/7. I use PC fans so I can control the speed with a variable AC/DC power supply. You cant here them. I use Panaflow L1's.

I left a air gap between the top of the canopy and where the reflector was mounted. Mainly for air flow but I wanted to lower the lights a bit too. My last tank, I mounted to the top of the canopy. When I tore it down after 3 years, the canopy looked fine. I don't think it gets that hot ...

Long night.

I tried mounting 250W's in my home-made reflectors tonight, which are currently mounted directly onto the bottom of the canopy, which are covered in melanine - standard cabinet interior stuff.

The wood got pretty hot - hot enough I'm not comfortable leaving it that way. I could touch the wood under the reflector (by reaching in), but it was hot to the touch. Not too hot to hold my hand there though.

So I proceeded with the long - term plan - I have four PFO 15" reflectors mounted to a 2x4 (2 for 250's, 2 for 175's) - and am planning on hanging that for easy maintenance (as opposed to mounting directly to the canopy interior, which is real hard to drill through and tends to chip.

Anyway, going to hang that, with a couple small chains and 4 hooks, down maybe an inch or two from the top of the canopy (it's 18" tall inside).

The canopy has two compartments. One open one over the tank, then a shelf above. Right now, I have a fan blowing into the top shelf, then a 2nd blowing into the tank space.

I'm going to add two more fans - blowing out of the tank space, and out of the top shelf, but I'm still worried about the bulbs heating up the 2x4 to the point of combustion...

Anyone ever had any problems with 250W MH reflectors mounted to a 2x4? These are the 15" batwing PFO reflectors...

After doing some reading, I'm going to go to Lowe's and find a metal bracket to mount the reflectors and sockets too, then hang that with at least an inch of space between the top of the canopy and the reflectors. I don't want to rely on cooling fans to keep the wood cool enough to not catch fire ;)

I've got some aluminum (L-shaped stuff, not sure what to call it), and hanging hardware. Haven't had a chance to do anything with it. My condy has climbed up the back of the tank to the top of the waterline. I'm guessing to get more light, so I need to move on this tonight. The bubbletip has found a home on a rock towards the top, and hasn't moved in a week.

Water looks good - really clear. Fish all look good. Xenia's are coming around.

But none of my 2 varieties of GSP's are coming out much, just enough to see the 5-points. The Galaxia looks the same as always, but the GSP's are concerning me. Any suggestions on that?

The mushrooms look great - better than ever before. I think they like their new home.

My GSP's always took a long time to come around after a traumatic event (moving, taking out of water, etc). I just took mine out of the water for a bit a few days ago to pick out some algae that was growing on it and I probably harassed them quite a bit. It's been a few days and they still are only poking out the tips, so maybe it's normal? How long has it been?

It's been a couple weeks now. They're not dead - but they're barely coming out, for just a few hours a day.

Got the lights setup. Everything went pretty smooth once I had everything I needed.

I only put the 250's on the timer (175's are off) until I can see what happens with the temp. I have 2 more 34CFM fans, but I need to find a 12V 1000mw adapter for them. If the 250's don't heat up too much, I'll add the 2 fans and try out the 175's.

Here's a shot. I'm getting a shadow where the tank braces are, I think I might get some long, thin strip-like mirrors and put in a triangle shape over them to bounce some of the light into the water.

IMAGE_00077.jpg

Or you can cut the braces out and install glass in place of the braces. That way you will eliminate the shadows.

Never thought of that. I'd be a little scared of removing braces on such a big tank - although I could glue in glass (thick glass) braces right next to the plastic ones first. It would look better.

Scoot, if its any kind of consolation, a friend of mine has a 180 which he removed the center braces and glued the 1" thick glass to and then siliconed it. He made sure he gave it some extra hold with the glue and silicone. Just a thought tho. I mean if you are comfortable with it, maybe you can get a buddy to help you out with it.

I would not do it with water in it like that. If you use 3 bulbs and space them in between the braces, you won't get shadows. I am considering ditching my 10k's as I almost think I have too much light. My LPS's don't seem to like it very much. Some 12 or 14ks would be a bit dimmer. 4 bulbs is a lot of light. Hope you don't like mushrooms ;)

I would be afraid of doing this with water in the tank, for sure.

On the lights, I can always adjust - easier to remove lights than add them ;) I might move to a single 175 in the middle, and the 2 250's on the ends. It's easy to change things up the way I build the framework for the lights. Plus I can easily raise or lower them.

I haven't mentioned this, but I like anemone's more than corals - I'm leaning towards doing most fish and anemone's. I want a nice giant BTA someday, and I need lots of light for those. My one tiny BTA has never really flourished, I think for lack of light.

The tank did get a little warm yesterday with the 2 250's. Up to 84.

I added 2 more fans to complete the airflow cyclce. In through the left top, then into the tank space, then out through the left side. The fans are on the same timer as the 250's.

Running the UV isn't helping keeping the water temp down - but it's helping to keep the water clear, for sure. Long-term I plan to not use it.

Plus, the house is still a lot hotter than normal - every single light is on all day, and the doors are being opened and shut non-stop. It'll be much easier to control the water temp when the house temp isn't fluctuating all the time.

Ellisz, the mushrooms seem to like the 250's - I've never seen them get so big.

I was planning on running two of the lights, probably the 250's, in a shorter cycle. The 175's would be on first, running from say 8AM to 8PM, then the 250's from noon to 4PM. Something like that. Those are just rough times, but I have two separate timers, and wasn't going to run all four through the entire light cycle.

Honestly, I can barely tell the 175's are even turned on with those 250's.

Sump socks are driving me nuts. They're dirtying up every 2 days. I think I need a bigger canister type filter.

[update]

Just back from daily feeding. Here are some pics.

IMG_6653.JPG

IMG_6659.JPG

IMG_6669.JPG

IMG_6685.JPG

IMG_6706.JPG

IMG_6704.JPG

My mushrooms never liked the 250's. I have to keep them in the back.

I have acros and 3 clams so you would be fine with 3 250's but I am a big believer of using what you have. If anyone can make it work, you can.

That kitchen is awesome. I need to take some updated pics of my stuff now.

I still haven't drained my old tank. There are a few nassarius in there, but I'm afraid to handle them after hearing that there are varieties that can be toxic (comments?)

My old fuge is still running on its own here at home, too - haven't figured out how to plumb that really. It's not drilled. I was going to hook up a drainline in the sump, which is up pretty high towards the high water level, with a return water pump from the fuge to the sump. Too many potential failure points though. I supposed I could use my overflow box on it.

Here's what I hav ein the tank.

Blue tang
Yellow tang
Clown Trigger
Niger Trigger
5xblue chromis (lost 1 after relocating)
blue damsel
yellowtail damsel
6-spot sand goby
lawnmower blenny
2 occellaris
princess parrotfish
2 pajama cardinals
green mandarin

condylactis anemone
green bta (very small but growing)
2 kinds of GSP's (barely coming out since moving)
various mushrooms
small galaxea colony
small xenia colony (not very happy since moving)

30+ nassarius
a couple hermits

Never heard that of nassarius snails ...

With the space you have, you could use a rubbermaid or similar and just place it at a height above the sump. Drill a hole in it and supply it with water from the sump with a powerhead. Let it drain right back into the sump. Very simple and mostly bullet proof. Make a drain higher than the first in case a critter or macro decides to clog the first drain. Or just get a 100 gal stock tank and have at it :)

Thought about that - I was just hoping to use my existing fuge. Or to have glass. I'm pretty comfortable drilling acrylic now, I could order an acrylic from somewhere cheap...

Kinda stinks having a fuge full of chateo, caulerpa, mysids, and other critters, but not able to use it ;(

Back
Top Bottom