Can anyone tell me how to lower ALK?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwtowmaster

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have low ph 7.9-8.0, & high Alk 6 meg/l a high alk. level lowers your calcium & strontium/molybdenum .most buffers also raise alk.I need a way to higher ph and lower my alk.I have a low calcium level and I drip w/ kalkwasser and add calcium to tank.anyone have any input?

Water changes.

I have had issues with IO salt for the last six months, no one else seems to have them, but mine mixes very low in CA and very high in ALK. When I mix water for a waterchange, I add Turbo calcium to the newly mixed water until the parameters are where I want them. The thing is, it's twofold. Turbo calcium is a dry form of calcium chloride, calcium chloride, it doesed quickly in large (relatively speaking) doses, raise CA and depletes ALK. So for a 5 gallon batch of new SW, I add 3/8 teaspoon of Turbo Calcium.

Once you get the params of the new SW where you want them, it is a matter of changing water with the good params frequently until the params of the tank are where you want them.

i had the same problem with io. low ca. water change, but like rr said make your fresh sw and add to it before you put it in the tank. i changed to reef crystals...

I also used to use reef crystals until I got po4 problem ,then tested freshly mixed ro/di water w/ reef crystals and got traces of po4.so I was adding phosphates to my tank on waster changes.RC is the only salt that doesn't say phasphate free on it.Ill have to try the turo cal.But I also need to raise my ph and leave ALK. alone how can I do that? :roll:

But I also need to raise my ph and leave ALK. alone how can I do that?

PH buffer??? Not sure if there is anyway to buffer the ph without impacting ALK, I would make sure I'm using a salt that gives the desired ph. or buffer as needed. I will sound like a broken record, but if you do frequent water changes, I prefer not to mess with the tank chemestry, but to fiddle with the new SW chemistry.

Back
Top Bottom