Clown Tangs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thepuffah

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, since I have upgraded to my 220g, I have been looking at this 4" Clown Tang at my LFS. It is $50.00. So I am wondering if these fish are completly a waste of money or not? I have talked to a few people online that have kept Clown Tangs for many years, so they are impossible. I upgraded from my 55g which has been running for about 3-4 months, and have had fish in there for 3 months. So please help since I am going there tommorrow.

IF YOU HAVENT KEPT ONE, OR DONT KNOW VERY MUCH, DONT JUST COME IN HERE AND SAY THEY ARE DIFFICULT. I KNOW THAT!!!

Very aggressive. If you decide you can handle the difficulty and low survival rate it should be the very last fish added. Even then it my kill your other fish.

clown tang

I used to have a clown tang in my 30 gallon. It was peacfull, and cool to look at. It ended up just dying under a rock for some reason. I guess it got scraped on a rock. It wasnt hard to take care of either. It wasnt aggresive at all, but you never kno.

You had a clown in a 30 gallon? These fish should be in a minimum 150 gallon tank. I am not guessing why it died.

I have heard alot of people say they arent aggressive. So that must be the case alot of the time. Any more suggestions?

Never heard of them not being aggressive. I was going to get one but everyone I talked to told me to avoid it because it would be too aggression in my size tank. Even the fish store told me to avoid it because of aggression issues. Sounds like you already made your mind up.

Well, I can easily get another fish. I just dont think aggression is solid enough for an absolute no. I know I sound like a retard, but I REALLY want this fish, so if someone has a good answer... PLEASE SPEAK UP!

I've never have one of those and i don't know very much about them. I just wanted to come here and say that they are difficult.

JK. I've once asked a guy at my LFS about those fishes and he said they are aggressive and shouldn't be kept in a peaceful tank

I would think as long as the aquascape is well built for other fishes to hide/call home, then there shouldn't be much of an issue. I think it's when fish can see each other all the time that aggressive fish seem more aggressive than normal.

I decided to wait until my tank matures a little. I am going with a PBT and Blonde Naso instead. I am getting them from SWF. Unless I get the Clown from liveaquaria. But if he is as aggressive as a Sohal, then he should probably be the last one added, right?

How big is your tank? How long has it been established? Have you ever had tangs before? Do you have a easy and ready access to many different types of live and dried macro algae? Do you have a dedicated refugium for growing macro algae? Clown tangs, Acantuhrus lineatus, are extremely aggressive and have very specialized living requirements. Their oxygen intake is higher than even the average tang, and they shouldn't be kept in aquaria smaller than 260 gallons. They are a much more free ranging tang than the average surgeonfish, and require heavy current to swim against or they'll go into "swimming frenzies" and bash their heads in. They will target specific fish and harass them until the fish is dead. The LFS had one that lasted around two months in their 300 gal show tank, and then it died. It was probably more of a oxygen quantity vs. water quality issue, because that show tank is just unbelievable, and they have many hard to keep things spawn in there. During that three months, it harassed the other fish so badly that it took three weeks after for them all to quit hiding in the rockwork. So adding it last really doesn't do anything other than give your other fish a chance. I don't know who told you that their clown tang wasn't aggressive, but I would suggest spending a couple hours observing said fish your own self. It's real easy for people to go "Oh, I had one of those once" but nothing shows more than seeing it for yourself.

I decided to go with a PBT and Blonde Naso. I am going to either wait for the Clown or not get it at all.

Back
Top Bottom