Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-25-2014, 08:07 PM   #61
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My husband came home and we changed 10 gallons of water. He also translated my nitrites to be .029 ppm, which is just slightly over the max it must be. Although I trust him, I would appreciate verification so I can breathe a little easier, except for ammonia.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Old 08-25-2014, 10:12 PM   #62
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I can only suggest taking a deep breath. Tanks change over time as they season. Mine is 22 years old and I am having the irritation of some cyano. It happens. Your water exchanges will eventually settle the problems out. Don't panic and start changing parameters as you can make the problem worse. Do one thing at a time. Note the results and move forwards.

Your RO is fine at 2ppm. There is something still cycling in the tank, live rock, die off, etc. Keep up the water exchanges as it cures many issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 08-25-2014, 11:55 PM   #63
Aquarium Advice Addict

You mentioned vacuuming out the sand, and you never mentioned how much rocks you have ( not the gravel at the bottom, but rocks).
Most of the bacteria we need (BB) live in the rock structures as they are very porous and have a HUGE surface area for their size. The next largest home for BB is in the sand bed. Again, porous coral based sand plus the porous sand bed structure. Vacuuming out the sand would have removed a large part of your BB colonies. Replacing that with gravel ( that is NOT porous) would have removed a significant portion of the BB. Plus gravel is a good hiding place for detritus. Together, those 2 things may be the cause of your current situation.
The original cyano issue may have been a simple over feeding issue (nutrients in > nutrients out) but the vacuuming may have steamrolled it into a more serious loss of BB situation.
This may be one of the few times I think Dr Tim's instant cycle may help, by reducing your ammonia and nitrites.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 08-26-2014, 12:38 AM   #64
Aquarium Advice Addict

This one is a temporary remedy just like what Ingy is suggesting until your parameter is in check and stable.

Nutrafin Cycle Biological Aquarium Supplement (4 oz)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90w86...A434PW3gEa1-QA
jeffaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:42 PM   #65
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaTricia View Post
Bribo12, that's an awesome calculator! What product(s) would you suggest?

I buy the bulk reef supply stuff. Easy to use and much cheaper than the two little fishies products.
BRS 2 Part Calcium & Alkalinity Total Package - Bulk - Bulk Reef Supply
Old 08-26-2014, 10:50 PM   #66
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Constant cyano-- please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
I buy the bulk reef supply stuff. Easy to use and much cheaper than the two little fishies products.
BRS 2 Part Calcium & Alkalinity Total Package - Bulk - Bulk Reef Supply

I'm also in agreement with X. This isn't rocket science, these chemicals are easy and cheap to get. And safe to store. There are just a few very inexpensive chemicals needed for alk/cal/mg dosing. BRS makes it easy, but if you run as much water as I do, you will find the same chemicals in bulk cheaper than BRS. But if in any doubt, just go the BRS route.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:56 PM   #67
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I know I have to be patient and change, change change the water to get my params back in order. I also know that chemicals are sometimes needed. I can't use them right now because my husband will not dose while I'm gone and I don't want to jack up the tank. And I am looking at the BRS website frequently. I'm not saying I'm not going to ask a dozen more questions, but I will. Every time I leave the house, I'm afraid I'll come home to fried fish (no pun intended) because of the high ammonia. But it went up terribly after the 19 gallon water change. Tomorrow I will be home and will make more salt water up and will do another big water change.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:00 PM   #68
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
but if you run as much water as I do, you will find the same chemicals in bulk cheaper than BRS.
I have 50 pound bags of calcium, potassium chloride, and mag in my garage that i use for ice melt, but haven't tried them in my tanks.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:05 PM   #69
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Constant cyano-- please help

Dowflakes has been recommend a few times, but I wouldn't trust the manufacturing process as they could slip something else into the formula. Amazon and other web sites sell the raw chemicals really cheap. And they are safe chemicals, so they aren't restricted. Any chemical supply can sell you as much as you want and you can be sure it's pure.

But if your running a smaller system BRS is the easiest way to go.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:00 PM   #70
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes, I run a 28 gallon with 25 lbs of live rock, 1/2" of live sand under two inches of, supposedly, gravel right from the ocean. Dry. I put the new gravel in half the tank at the time. I do have some Dr. Tim's live and nitrifying bacteria in the 'fridge. Should I put some of that in there? The gravel was supposed to be finer than what I got, and the "straight from the ocean" thing didn't impress me. People will say anything to make a deal.
I will replace the phosphate and nitrate sponges in the trickle filter with the Purigen, and I already have Chemi-Pure Blue in there. The cyano is back. All the gravel is red/pink. Starting to climb the glass, but I am still worried about the ammonia, mostly.

Tags
cyano, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com