Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like you are having a great time. Enjoy. Your tank is looking awesome as well.

SRC<><

Thank you ....San Raphael catfish huh? Gotta be a story behind That. :) Just got back from shopping and had to buy the GF a pair of hard soled neoprene socks and a new set of fins that they'd slip into ,...walking barefoot over the hard and sharp lava to your jump in point is rather hazardous enough let alone trying to get in or out with a vast array of sharp sea urchins lining every nock and cranny too.
The ocean has been a little rough looking today but we have high hopes that tomorrow or the next day we can go back and look at some of our aquarium buddies again.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Well it's our last full day here in Hawaii .., tomorrow we must board the big Hawaiian Airbus and head back to the real world.... It's been a lot of fun ,... We've managed to make it to " two step " snorkeling 3 times this trip,...unfortunately, as reported earlier the swell and huge waves have been up the last few days but we managed to make it in and out unscathed ( whew.., lucky !)
It was so cool to see the same fish inhabiting the same rock formation trip after trip . Today the conditions were fair at best with murky water and a very strong currents,but we saw a lot of our aquarium buddies and had a blast anyway, one cool thing was a tide pool caused by the high tide and swell which held three baby moorish idols no more than a inch and a half long,.. So cool to see.
I have no idea how my tank is doing at home ., my brother has been a little quiet reporting anything ,..I guess no news is good news!
Snorkeling with the fish that we keep in our own aquarium is really a trip..., it really truly opens one's eyes as to their natural habits and living conditions,..it really makes you wish you had about a five thousand gallon tank to see them the way they should be .
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412039005.573423.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412039033.936098.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412039052.268756.jpg

Dary, travel safe!

I have been plagued by the same issue of how poorly we model environments that nomad fish like tangs and idols live in. Especially surge zone fish.

But things like wrasses, crabs, even clowns would probably, if allowed to vote, would accept the easy life over living in the sea. So don't stress too much or you'll be labeled tang police like me.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well we got back from Hawaii late last nite .... After surveying my tank this morning everything seemed to be in good working order ,the algae on the glass as expected was pretty thick, ,,all the coral looked vibrant and colorful,.. Fish were active and happy ,Water parameters looked good etc,... The only weird thing is that all my cheato that was in my sump has seemed to disappeared ! Hmmmmmm
I did my pwc this am and besides the cheato issue everything looks as good as can be .
Yes as stated in the post above ,..yes those are a couple of my Martian chalices ,..they are striking and a little touchy to keep but beautiful non the less.
I did in fact order that new Sony wifi camera and underwater housing that I was discussing while I was in Hawaii ,..the usps in fact dropped them off this morning ,..unfortunately plumbing issues today have put all the fun things on hold for awhile until they are eliminated .
I can't wait to go back to Hawaii next year , (God willing ,) and revisit that giant aquarium again,... For those of you who have gone and watched that underwater world beneath the waves than you can appreciate the magic ,... For those that are on the edge ,... Do it !! It's really mind boggling !

One of my favorite places. Was the water warm or did a wetsuit feel good?

The water as usual felt wonderful but I always wear a jacket to help ward off sunburn,scrapes,urchins etc, the xtra buoyancy is nice too.... It's weird how you go thru those cold water zones in various locations too,... Any thoughts on the disappearing cheato ?

If it wasn't eaten, It dissolved. And other algaes absorbed it again. Balance of power between algae species. Chaeto can starve off for a lot of factors, light, lack of nutrient concentration (a good thing). I wouldn't sweat it.

If it wasn't eaten, It dissolved. And other algaes absorbed it again. Balance of power between algae species. Chaeto can starve off for a lot of factors, light, lack of nutrient concentration (a good thing). I wouldn't sweat it.

Ok cool ..,I won't " sweat it " It just took a couple pics using new wifi camera,...( only the first minute of use ) Nice to see more of a natural tank look and color even with led's on ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412205769.889492.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412205834.814605.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412205896.799811.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412205950.451264.jpg these pics were also transferred to my iPad using the wifi system ( yea !!! ). The ferocious looking sting ray was also from kona ,..I just couldn't resist

Are you gonna post any pics of your dives?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Once I figure out how to transfer the pics from one device to another ,... Ordered some cables this afternoon :-/ in high hopes they'll work... Stand by to stand by :)

Yesterday we had some plumbers over taking care of a clogged outside line ,.. About 1/2 way thru the day one of the guys came over to me and said " I just gotta ask you about your tank " ,.. Apparently he had been telling the other guys about it ,.he asked me if I would mind showing the guys the setup,.He got all the guys together to come in to check out the tank ,.. They were fascinated at the amount of equipment and plumbing needed to set everything up,.. It was kinda neat being a impromptu tour guide trying to explain the typical upkeep and what each piece of equipment did. They left shaking their heads but were totally amazed at the ability to have something "so beautiful" in your living room.
It was nice to hear someone tell you how amazing it looked and the commitment to actually do it .... It made me feel good inside knowing that I actually did do it and others really enjoyed the whole project. They could not believe that it was no where near complete and it would be many more years of growing corals ,.. Every now and then something comes out of nowhere and makes your day !

That is very cool. I've only run into only one person who was like "eh, it's ok" but that person is pretty disgusted with life in general, so I didn't take offense.

The general population has no clue about what it takes to build a stable reef, or even keep a fish only system thriving. But then I am personally convinced the general population knows little about nothing. That's the engineer talking.

Back
Top Bottom