Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well it’s been a week since I introduced the powder blue tang into the system , the aggression level has really subsided a lot but there’s still a little here and there , I’ve upped their feeding schedule which seems to help a lot ,more nori seems to make for happier tangs.
The pbt has found a cave or two that he seems to seek shelter in whenever he feels threatened , if the aggression last Friday was a 8 then I’d rate the aggression this week at about a 2,..progress !!!
Hope everyone has a beautiful and MERRY XMAS !!!!

It’s been a real learning experience for me watching the progression of the powder blue tang and its interactions with the other residents,... not sure how many powder blue tang owners are reading this but any input is really welcomed !
I’ve been experimenting with different colored seaweed and various foods to see what seems to get him going ,.. it seems like any of the green seaweed is the best , I’ve tried the purple seaweed and that also is consumed readily but not as quickly, the red seaweed alone on the clip is approached very gingerly and for the most part avoided ,I think it’s because it’s not in a sheet form and kinda waves like a flag. I’ve kinda resolved that by folding up some in a sheet of green nori and that seems to be the trick into getting him to eat it.
So far the powder blue will not eat anything that is dropped into the water column such as mysis or fusion or anything like that, I read on another forum that someone would thaw out some of the frozen food and spread it on a sheet of nori and then roll it up like a cigar and then place it on the clip for it to peck at . That sound logical to me and I’m going to try that pretty soon .
I have no idea if the different colored seaweed are any different nutritionally than the green stuff but I figured it couldn’t hurt to try.
The pbt seems to have a voracious appetite and eats right along side with the other critters without anymore aggression that I’ve seen.
All in all ( fingers crossed ) things are good .

Another on the masstick train. Simply amazing stuff. My copperband has stayed fat and the sailfin has plumped up after not wanting to take to eating algae from the clip.
But as for the different colored algae Dary, some tangs seem to just be picky about it. I’ve never had trouble with green, but my powder brown didn’t like red for whatever reason. Most likely regional availability of food for wild caught fish I’d assume.

Another on the masstick train. Simply amazing stuff. My copperband has stayed fat and the sailfin has plumped up after not wanting to take to eating algae from the clip.
But as for the different colored algae Dary, some tangs seem to just be picky about it. I’ve never had trouble with green, but my powder brown didn’t like red for whatever reason. Most likely regional availability of food for wild caught fish I’d assume.

I ordered a big vat of the masstick , hope the pbt eats it like you guys say ,... I sooooo wanna keep the pbt healthy and fat

Just fed mine with it. They do love it. But it’s too expensive. I looked at the powder more closely. A common “mastic” is Arabic gum powder which is used as a organic binder. New age cooking uses it a lot. The “food” part is very green when rehydrated, but light brown when dry. Arabic gum is white I think. I’m going to figure this stuff out. I bet I can make it for far less. Next step is to taste it...

Just fed mine with it. They do love it. But it’s too expensive. I looked at the powder more closely. A common “mastic” is Arabic gum powder which is used as a organic binder. New age cooking uses it a lot. The “food” part is very green when rehydrated, but light brown when dry. Arabic gum is white I think. I’m going to figure this stuff out. I bet I can make it for far less. Next step is to taste it...

Lol....just let me know what wine goes with masstick [emoji55]

i got the massstick yesterday afternoon and mixed up the ingrediants and smeared some on a rock and sat back on the couch and waited ,.... within a minute my large banded shrimp came out of hiding and peeled the ball off and carried into a cave ,..... any little pieces that came off were munched on by the foxface and scopace tang as they floated away.
i once again tried smearing some on the rock and waited,...all the fish seem to sense it but no body seemed to attack it,....except the lawnmower blenny which thought it was xmas .
soooo, i decided to smear some on a piece of the plastic mess that i use for my ats and hang that from their veggie clip,....after awhile the pbt , the scopace and foxface would all come up to it and back away,...it was kinda like "you try it ",....no "you try it",.....after watching this comedy act for a half an hour or so it was time for bed,....less than a stellar start i'd say but ill try again this afternoon when i get home

Seems it’s working and your tangs are shy lol. My sailfin took time to eat it as well. It had to watch the copperband munching on it for a day or two first. Don’t know if no more nori sheets helped with that or not.

when I got home from work the little experimental masstick screen was bare ,... so I decided I’d try it again ,.... we’ll, today they were hungry and picked the new offering clean !!!
Obviously, it’s still early in the game but at least they’ve had a taste of it IMG_2575.jpg

Hunger is the best spice. Glad they are getting into gear for your Dary. I'm really amazed by this product. Your fish are already fat and happy, I'll be interested to see if that level continues. I know my sailfin plumped up after being concerned about its survival.

wow,....the nori has taken a back seat to the masstick concoction , one thing that ive noticed is there's now a "pecking" order which has surfaced, the scopace tang is the little queen bee and is getting rather pushy and protective of the masstick and has become mildly aggressive towards the other fish especially the powder blue tang from encroaching on her little nest egg.
maybe like most things that happen tank wise it"ll work itself out over time ., we"ll see

Back
Top Bottom