Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bottom of my mix barrel after about a hundred pounds of Reef Crystals. You can see my confusion. If anyone figures this out please post it.

It seems alien eye caps are kind of scarce right now.

Yeah that's exactly what I have with reef crystals. I thought it might be calcium being burnt but I'm not sure.

Had a hard brown/purple algae attack my zoa colony. A toothbrush wouldn't touch it. Just tried a hydrogen peroxide dip. It was wild watching the zoas foam up, but all the algae detached and died in front of me. Rinsed the zoas, there were several hundred on the rock and they are in a hospital tank with direct flow aimed at them now. They already look better. Any one else heard of doing this? It worked...I think.

I did it for my bryopsis on zoas. It completely killed the bryopsis for a while but it grew back. The zoas changed color slightly but it wasn't anything crazy. It's amazing how much corals can stand.

You think it's bryopsys? I grow some of that in my scrubber and it is wiry and in clumps. This stuff on the zoas is like a hard cyano. The peroxide removed it in sheets in 30 seconds. Zoas still not open today. Will give them a while.

You think it's bryopsys? I grow some of that in my scrubber and it is wiry and in clumps. This stuff on the zoas is like a hard cyano. The peroxide removed it in sheets in 30 seconds. Zoas still not open today. Will give them a while.

No, im just saying I used that method on bryopsis and it works. It'll take zoas a couple days. You did dilute the peroxide ride?

I took a couple more pictures today just to keep things alive here...yes i know the tanks kinda dirty but ive been battling a relentless cold for the last week or so , so tank maintenance has taken a back seat while i try and get a little better...a question. Tho...Ive never been able to keep a cuc because mr. Trigger thinks its snacks coming his way., and in the meantime over time I'm getting some algae over some of the rocks that i'd like to eliminate., a few snails would prob work but honestly i think i'd need some the size of a potato in order for him not to eat them... Any ideas? Do i toss in about 50 of the little suckers and just let him eat his fill in hopes that some will survive to do their job or what ?

Attachments

• image-960058363.jpg
    image-960058363.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 151
  • image-1993525007.jpg
    image-1993525007.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 127
  • image-3469634878.jpg
    image-3469634878.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 118
  • image-3782302561.jpg
    image-3782302561.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 117
  • image-3364409316.jpg
    image-3364409316.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 113
  • image-625653444.jpg
    image-625653444.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 110
  • image-1001245897.jpg
    image-1001245897.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 121
I took a couple more pictures today just to keep things alive here...yes i know the tanks kinda dirty but ive been battling a relentless cold for the last week or so , so tank maintenance has taken a back seat while i try and get a little better...a question. Tho...Ive never been able to keep a cuc because mr. Trigger thinks its snacks coming his way., and in the meantime over time I'm getting some algae over some of the rocks that i'd like to eliminate., a few snails would prob work but honestly i think i'd need some the size of a potato in order for him not to eat them... Any ideas? Do i toss in about 50 of the little suckers and just let him eat his fill in hopes that some will survive to do their job or what ?

I am not sure there is a snail that a trigger can't flip over and eat. Great question though. Would a urchin be a reasonable way to go? I have seen triggers eat urchins as well. Maybe a algae blenny might help.

money cowries may work, the opening on the shell is small enough that they may withstand some good harrassing

I just read that the Rhinecanthus aculeatus, or huma-huma, or Picasso trigger will eat almost any invert. Posting showed they would flip the biggest snails and eat them. It's their job. Some posts suggested sea cucumbers.

money cowries may work, the opening on the shell is small enough that they may withstand some good harrassing

I think he'd still eat it because what he does is flips it over and actually sucks it out if its shell...and he's relentless

Last edited:
I just read that the Rhinecanthus aculeatus, or huma-huma, or Picasso trigger will eat almost any invert. Posting showed they would flip the biggest snails and eat them. It's their job. Some posts suggested sea cucumbers.

Sea cucumbers huh? Interesting.... But i think this may be an impossible endeavor ..or maybe a nocturnal snail that hides during the day and eats only at night ?

Last edited:
Honestly, the better option would be to re-home the trigger. If that doesn't sound good a couple of blennys would be my next suggestion. Sea urchins often eat coralline which doesn't sit well with most people. But they sure eat the hell out of algae, assuming it survives. To bad stores don't sell chitons. They're really slow eaters though. Plus you'd need at least 100! lol

Buy a bulk lot of emerald crabs and they can deforest the algae and provide food and entertainment for the trigger lol

I know the feeling. It's all about prioritizing the things you love. Can't fault you for that!

Years ago my mom , after my dad had passed away told us that it was always her and my dad's dream to take all of us " kids" to Hawaii for a vacation ,...so one Xmas she put together a trip for all of us ( including my longtime girl friend Laura ) to Hawaii,... We fell in love with the place and after seeing the humuhumu's while snorkeling for the first time I totally fell in love with the little critters ..., I probably have more humuhumu stuff than any human should have ,...from plates,bumper stickers,blown glass,wood carvings,coffee cups,xmas ornaments,expensive sculptures ,art prints,t-shirts,cup holders ,salt and pepper shakers,playing cards etc etc etc all the way to a 24 carat humuhumu that I wear around my neck 24 hours a day,..since that initial visit My girl friend and i have been back many ,many times to snorkel with the little monsters,...my girl friend has adapted to the humuhumu life style too and after a bout of snorkeling she can't wait to tell me about all the humu's she saw while snorkeling!
A few years back I decided that maybe ,,just maybe I could actually learn enough about maintaining a nice saltwater tank and actually raise a " rectangular triggerfish " ., which is the " Hawaiian state fish,( humuhumunukunukuapua'a )...it seemed like an impossible mission , at least for me,...but determined as I am ,I proceeded to try and learn and absorb as much Knowledge as I could before actually venturing out to do t.,..I ran across this forum one day and decided to join,...well,..thanks to many many good people and their willingness to share their knowledge ,I've been able to fulfill my aquatic dream and actually keep my humuhumu!!
" elway" my triggerfish was purchased a couple of years ago or so at my lfs while he was actually acclimating in a shipping bag in one of their tanks,..I actually never even laid eyes on him until I came home and acclimated him to my own tank,.....he was the most undernourished and gaunt creature I had ever seen,...literally,..he was nothing but this sunken fish with some skin attached ,you could actually make out his bone structure thru his skin ! now he's a fat little mean tempered critter that is the ONLY resident of my tank!!!
So as Greg stated before ...nah,..I .gotta keep'em......sorry for the long explanation but it just seemed appropriate.

Back
Top Bottom