Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice Photos Dart. Those tangs are beautiful and they look really big to. That turtle is funny coming up that close to you. I hope I can get to go back to Hawaii some day. Have fun with the sea life.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

We've had a blast .. We did the akaka falls zipline which I'd been looking forwards to,... (Ck out utube , akaka falls zipline #7 ) totally gnarly !! ,... We had monsoonal like rains driving up there and it made for a massive waterfall , guide told us that it was prob the most water he's seen going over it ever.
We can see yellow tangs from our lanai when a little wave rolls over ,.. Very peaceful ,.... Now back to the real world tomorrow :-(

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

........ Well back to reality and my tank ,... , checking on my tank for the first time since the vacation I knew they'd prob be a issue or two upon arrival ,.. My brother has been taking care of things while I was out frolicking in the islands and over all did a very nice job feeding the fish etc,...however , a few days into the trip he had texted me stating that the power company was here and about to do the long awaited power switch from telephone poles to the underground utilities and the power would be off for approx a half hour while they did the switch over.
Apparently , when the power was turned back on my ato unit did not reset itself and did not operate as needed,.. A quick unplug and replug seemed to rectify that, although the sump looked to be down about 4 or 5 gallons of water , obviously the salinity was off a bit.
The next issue was that one of my mag pumps that powers both my gfo reactor and my carbon reactor had froze up causing neither of them to run,... I put the pump into a bucket containing a high concentrate of vinegar and after a nudge got it spinning again ,I ran it I that bucket for about a half hour or so and got it cleaned up and running as new.
I replaced both the gfo and the the stagnant canister of nasty smelly carbon and water., the only noticeable damage that I've seen so far was some bleaching of my spiraling montipora caps,... I'm hoping that now after addressing the needed issues they'll make a comeback.
It's amazing just how much algae builds up on your glass after week and a half too,...overall back to semi normal now, I haven't tested any of the cal ,Alk readings yet but fingers crossed that they'll be ok,.... Now we wait :) .

Upon further review ,... Testing for the vitals were as follows ,....Calcium was high and Alk was low ,mag a little low but ok,... Reasoning is,... Brother accidentally ( not really knowing ) moved the Alk drip tube that was dripping into the DT causing it to flow onto the glass instead of the tank itself,..so the Alk drip wasn't keeping up and the calcium was dripping as normal,... I'm slowly will be getting things back to normal again . , hopefully I've caught things in time and can divert anymore issues., sometimes vacations are a little stressful upon returning . :-/ but I'm already thinking about next year's trip !!

Last edited:
Oh wow I'm glad you posted that cause I wanna make sure I watch out for that

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Oh wow I'm glad you posted that cause I wanna make sure I watch out for that

It's all the little things that you check on everyday and never even give a second thought to that can lead into big issues ,... In my case it was kinda the perfect storm, .power going out,pumps shutting down etc , My brother did a very very good job doing what I had asked him to do but not being familiar with the every day whole tank set up had no idea where things were heading ,.. I'll maybe rerouted the drip lines etc for the next time ,... You mentioned the yellow tangs ,.... There's seemingly a billion of em in Hawaii BUT I keep thinking about the buffalo,.. Once there was millions of them as far as the eyes could see but then suddenly they were none ,... Just remember that they need a lot of area to roam around ,.the bigger the tank the better they'll prob do .,. Ps what's your first name ?

And in 90 days I'm starting a new tank at least 120 tank so I'll probably wait till then and the one in my front room will go to my bedroom

Dary,

Glad you had a good trip. Know what you mean about the everyday stuff. Went away for a week this summer and my mother-in-law did a great job with the day to day stuff. Difference is, I set up a service call with my trusted LFS for midway in the vacation. Cost me $70 but felt it was way worth it.

Dary,

Glad you had a good trip. Know what you mean about the everyday stuff. Went away for a week this summer and my mother-in-law did a great job with the day to day stuff. Difference is, I set up a service call with my trusted LFS for midway in the vacation. Cost me $70 but felt it was way worth it.

For something as expensive as a reef tank I would call it a nice investment.

Caleb

Big accidents rarely happen because of one event, it's usually a perfect storm of small issues that add up.

I agree with your buffalo analogy. Remember, a tang can live to 20 years or more in the wild. They rarely make that age in our tanks, but it can be done with proper planning and diligence.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
Big accidents rarely happen because of one event, it's usually a perfect storm of small issues that add up.

I agree with your buffalo analogy. Remember, a tang can live to 20 years or more in the wild. They rarely make that age in our tanks, but it can be done with proper planning and diligence.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hey Greg,..nice to hear from you !!! How's the recovery coming ? Have you messed with your tank much since you've been out !

Dary,

Prob the most calming $70 you ever spent too :)

Back
Top Bottom