Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Glad things worked out when you caught it going. Makes me wish I had another heater now...

Hopefully , it'll never happen again,.. At least ,I'll be keeping an eye on that tank temperature a little more closely from now on , hope things are good with you

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Glad you caught it before any major damage to the corals and fish. Had a quite Easter at home. Hope you had a nice Easter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's actually hooked up to an independent controller which regulates when it's time to turn it on or not ,...so as long as that unit doesn't wig out it's good and for now the issue is solved , the new titanium heater from marine depot has arrived and it's plugged in and is working as it should,...just out of curiosity greg ,what are you running in your tank ? 800-1000 watts ?

Just finished up a major aquarium day ,... Replaced the gfo ,replaced the carbon ,cleaned out the turf scrubber etc which btw has been performing great, at first she seemed to take forever to produce a harvestable screen of algae but maybe it was just that I was impatience , but she does in fact produce a nice Goooey clump in a couple of weeks or so.
The new heater has performed perfectly since I've installed it yesterday ,one feature that this one has over the last one is a little red indicator light that lets you know when she's in the heating mode ,..it's a nice feature to be able to look at the temp on the cooler and watch it turn off or on in relationship with the tank temp.
I also took advantage of the marine depot ad that you prob all got and bought myself a aptasia wand , one good thing for me is that marine depot is just up the coast so whatever I order today will be here tomorrow ,..brs on the other hand seems to take forever . I will still use the laser that we bought last year but figured that another toy wouldn't hurt anything .
Time to make up some ato water and some pwc water for next week . :)

Paul B, over on another forum, has a +40 year old reef and he invented the wand. He's a cool guy. I bought a wand and like the laser, had mixed results. They work, but you have to nuke every little piece of the anemone, sometimes more than once or it recovers.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I haven't zapped any aptasia for a long time so I'll have plenty of targets to try it out on ,... Nothing like Doug had at his gym tank tho but enough for a limit or two anyways,..btw , when do you leave on your trip ?

End of June. Long time away. Been digging out all the old gear and testing regulators. For the first time I will be diving with my iPhone 6 Plus and a fleet of GoPros.

End of June. Long time away. Been digging out all the old gear and testing regulators. For the first time I will be diving with my iPhone 6 Plus and a fleet of GoPros.

It'll be here before you know it !! I bought a housing for my iPhone 5 a couple of years back but decided against using it at the last minute and used one of my Sony cameras instead . I'll be more than interested to see YOUR results tho

I'm a bit nervous about a $800 iPhone underwater. But if successful will post from the island. My son and I run a satellite communication business so we will pack what is called a BGAN unit with us for solid Internet access. Orbitaldata.net

I'm a bit nervous about a $800 iPhone underwater. But if successful will post from the island. My son and I run a satellite communication business so we will pack what is called a BGAN unit with us for solid Internet access. Orbitaldata.net

That was one of the reasons that made me veer off and another one was the limited ability to use certain features,...maybe he new ones are better (?) , I just didn't wanna risk the whole vacation on a gamble when I had perfectly good cameras already to go.

So here's my new next to disaster scenario ,.... I arrive home from work the other day ,opened the door only to find that my electricity to my tank had shut down and the only thing working was the battery backup for my mp40 ,...oh " u know what !!! " ..... The main electrical panel ( circuit breakers ) leading into the house is located immediately outside the wall from the tank ,...the tank is run off a separate circuit breaker and outlet which has two large dedicated power strips each running various pumps ,lights ,reactors etc,... When I reset the gf outlets breaker it immediately shut itself down again, I isolated one of the strips causing the shutdown and unplugged each and every plug individually until I found the culprit.
I run two 48inch true lumen pro led strips on top of the tank to supplement my existing led fixtures,... The 24 volt transformer powering these apparently shorted out or fried inside and cause the electrical shut down,... Wow ,..you just never know what's next ! I ordered another one which according to the tracking #'s should be here tomorrow,...according to the various timers installed it looked like the power went off about 8 am and when I arrived home it as aprox 1 pm...nice having that battery backup system up and running .

Any time I am away from home I live in some fear. One of the biggest down sides to operating a reef system.

Boy I know that !! You just gotta try and plan and install as many fail safe systems as you can into the whole setup and cross your fingers !! Something like this transformer frying itself and causing the whole thing to shut down is one of those things you could never plan on ,... Maybe if every plug in had its own mini breaker built in it'll work but for now I'm still at the cross my fingers stage lol,... Other than that ,All's well :)

Sounds like you were pretty unscathed at the end of the day? I've found that the only time things go wrong is when I'm traveling for work and my wife is home alone not sure of what to do. Heading out on a business trip this week for 2.5 days. Fingers crossed. ?

I even set up video cameras ( via Greg ) to keep an eye on things whenever I went to Hawaii... Don't know if it helped much but at least I could check it out every now and then

I remember you talking about them. When we went on vacation for a week last summer my in laws stayed at the house. I payed my local LFS $75 to stop in mid way through the vacation to test water adjust, fill ato's and just generally check everything out. By far the best money I've ever spent. Peace of mind is priceless.

One thing I don't think I've ever brought up here was refractometers,...like everyone ,I own a couple of em and recalibrate them every now and then when I start to get questionable results, ..long story short about a year ago I bought one of those Milwaukee digital refractometers ,..they are a little pricey up front but I decided to take the plunge and get one ..as luck would have it my first one I received was compromised and kept giving me error messages,..I returned it and received a replacement which has performed flawlessly ,..I will usually make up my pwc water and use a common refractometer to kind of get in the general range of the salinity and then use the Milwaukee to fine tune things .
Anyone on the cusp about getting one of these worry not , they are imo a wonderful addition to the dedicated reefer.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1460990267.562653.jpg

Back
Top Bottom