Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-21-2004, 05:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
drip acclimation question.

My tank is a 30 gallon with 50 or so pounds of live rock and a 4" DSB. My question is if I were to drip acclimate a star or something else that requires a lengthy time of acclimation, wouldnt that take a lot of water from my tank? There is not really that much water in my tank, so I would have to replenish with a good amount of saltwater after the hours of acclimation and it wouldnt even be the same tank water then, right?

Any hints or recommendations to properly drip acclimate a star would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Brian

mrpope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 05:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
It shouldnt be much. I generally will do about one drip per second. That wont fill up a 5 gallon jug in 3-4 hours. If your concerned about it...consider it a partial water change and replace it with fresh salt water.

The usual method is to take a hose and tie a knot in it. I would suggest buying a box of valves from your pet store. It has a little knob on top that will allow you to adjust the drip easier.

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 06:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
def wont come close to the top of your 5 gal container...i just did a 3 drip a sec acclimation for 2 hours on some hermits and it didnt even come a quarter of the way up the bucket (probably took 1-1.5gal out of the main)
30gal / 2: maxijet 600s / 150w heater / CPR Bak Pak2 (maxijet 1200)/FOWLR

30lbs base rock
6lbs Brazilian LR
35lbs sand (20lbs of lfs ls i think it cycled my tank faster)

3 blueleg hermits
4 turbo snails
royal gramma
gold stripped maroon clown
crage34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 06:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
Yep. This PM I drip acclimated a Blood Red Fire Shrimp (Lysmata debelius) for 5 hours. A few drips per second and after 5 hours the bucket (5 gal) was only about 2/3 full.
55g Reef
(3) Maxi-Jet 1200's, Wavemaker Pro
AquaC Remora Skimmer
100lbs Live Rock
20g Refugium
(1) Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp
(1) Peppermint Shrimp
(2) False Percs
(1) Orchid Dottyback
(1) Lawnmower Blenny
(1) Flame Angel
(1) Spotted Mandarin
(1) Red Brittle Star
(1) Banded Serpent Star

"But then again, fish do tend to eat one another. I often wonder ... if fish get awfully tired of seafood? What are your thoughts Hobson?"
gear-head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 08:48 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
I drip all my livestock as well but I have wondered on long acclimations about the temp of the water. Seems like with a very slow drip that the temp would not stay level. I have dripped for 3 hours before but my water felt a bit cooler too.

I read someone dripped a star for 10 hours. Is the drip water keeping the temp up on that length of a drip?
ellisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 09:45 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via ICQ to Gauge Send a message via Yahoo to Gauge
No, it will not.

I feel that hardier livestock (such as damsels, clowns, etc) can be acclimated in other ways. I just float the bag in the tank and change out one shotglass (1 oz) of water every 10 minutes or so. That usually does the trick. Only the more delicate stuff needs a drip.

If you want to drip acclimate, you need to bag the fish again after the drip is done and float them a while so the temps can equalize. My apartment stays at 75 degrees, but due to the lights, heaters, pumps, etc, my tank will be anywhere from 80-82 degrees. After dripping the water in the bucket will be no higher than 76 degrees, even on a very fast drip.

- Gauge

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote

acclimation, drip

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com