Easier corals to keep

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TigerBarbs

Aquarium Advice Addict
What are some of the easier corals to keep? My lighting is a 4 bulb fixtures with 2 actinics and 2 10000k.

Anything soft, except carnations.....

Mushrooms, leathers, zoanthids and the such.

If you do well with those then maybe thing about some of the easier LPS.

None, they don't build skeletons so just regular water changes are all you need.

Softies actually prefer slightly dirtier water, so are ideal for starters.

Zoanthids and palythoas are great for starters - they don't need any feeding apart from light, though my paly's get an occasional treat of mysis shrimp: seems to be making them grow a bit quicker.

From what I understand, the same is true of zoanthids - I'm just not psychotic/determined enough to try to feed each little polyp.

Green star polyps are another fairly easy coral that grows like mad on just light - it very quickly overtook a rock it was living on for me.

Off of the thread subject but are anenomes easy to keep? What do they need besides light?

Nems shouldn't be in a tank that hasn't been setup for atleast a year...they aren't the easiest thing to take care of.

In terms of easy corals, I have good success with soft corals...kenya tree, mushroom leather...I have zoas, duncans, and rics...my zoas have been struggling as have my green star polyps. They are easier, but for whatever reason I have much better luck so far with my duncan, rics, and mushrooms.

Kenya trees, green stars, and some others are really easy to keep (unless you are me it seems) and can grow like weeds, easily overtaking things in your tank. This is what makes them great beginner corals.

Why does it have to be a while before an anemone can be added? Not that I don't trust you:). Im just curious

Why do they need such a mature tank? Not that I don't trust you :) I'm just curious.

Back
Top Bottom