Filtration help??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tipton34

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have built a 70 gallon tank, it will be a fowlr, would I be OK with just powerheads? Maybe a power filter??

Tipton34 said:
I have built a 70 gallon tank, it will be a fowlr, would I be OK with just powerheads? Maybe a power filter??

You will need power heads, for water movement, and to help export nutrients. The water movement helps suspend any detritus in the water, allowing it to be taken up by your filter, as opposed to just settling onto your substrate. Most fish also need some movement.

Although a sump would be a better situation, you could get by with just a large power filter.

Depending on your stocking level, you may also want a HOB protein skimmer too. With heavy stocking, a skimmer would help to keep nitrates from accumulating. Water changes will bring your nitrates down, but a skimmer will help keep them down.

Hope this helps with your build, and have fun! :)

Right now I plan on having a penguin emperor 400 two power heads! They will have between 700-1300 gph per hour! Would that work?

One penguin 400, and 2 power heads should be sufficient, with weekly water changes at10%. If you find it's not enough filter, you could always add another.

OK I think I'm going to do that! I had a 10 gallon tank with just a power filter and it did great!

Back
Top Bottom