Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-16-2005, 08:34 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Seems I saw somebody from liverocks.com posting that the keys/gulf mantis shrimp are much less malevolent than the fiji ones. He said Mike even hand feeds his, and they're scared of fish.

Old 02-16-2005, 11:54 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My mantis came in with LR.com rock. The mantis attacked a goby that I introduced (pick on the new guy syndrome). The mantis wasn't able to kill the fish, but he definately wanted to.

Now that mantis lives in his own tank and is a great pet.

40 Gal Hex, 10 Gal Sump, CPR overflow with Mag 7 return, Maxxima 35 RO/DI, 10K MH pendant, 2 x 15W actinic, 1 yellow tail damsel, 1 high fin goby, 40lbs LR.com rock, 1 red head goby, 1 algae blenny, Leather, blastomussa, sun, and hammer corals, green polyps, carpet anemone, 2 sexy shrimp...and more LR critters than you could imagine in your worst nightmares.... Mantis in 5 gal
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 02:19 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
My mantis came in with LR.com rock. The mantis attacked a goby that I introduced (pick on the new guy syndrome). The mantis wasn't able to kill the fish, but he definately wanted to.
well that certainly deflates the "tame keys mantis shrimp" theory. Heh... I've yet to see a mantis shrimp, but I have to admit I wouldn't mind getting one, if just for the curiosity. I used to have a spiny reef lobster, very pretty, purple tail, orange body, red spines, and he ate many gobies, shrimp, snails, etc. How much worse than that are mantis shrimp?
Old 02-17-2005, 11:41 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

can i use FW instead of soda? wht's the differences between them? which one is better? i mean least damage to the rock...
Old 02-18-2005, 02:19 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just use regular tank salt water. If you can get the rock he is in...out of the tank and into a bucket...the rest is easy.

My mantis jumped out simply by plunging the rock in and out of the water a few times. No need to use anything harsh like FW or soda.

If he is really stubborn, strap a piece of shrimp to something heavy and put it in the bottom of the bucket so that the mantis will have to swim out of the rock. While he's struggling to remove the food from the rock, pull his home rock out of the bucket.
40 Gal Hex, 10 Gal Sump, CPR overflow with Mag 7 return, Maxxima 35 RO/DI, 10K MH pendant, 2 x 15W actinic, 1 yellow tail damsel, 1 high fin goby, 40lbs LR.com rock, 1 red head goby, 1 algae blenny, Leather, blastomussa, sun, and hammer corals, green polyps, carpet anemone, 2 sexy shrimp...and more LR critters than you could imagine in your worst nightmares.... Mantis in 5 gal
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 02:54 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

I took the rocks and they are currently in a bucket with water from the tank. will this be ok? I will be placing a powerhead to keep the water flow. still trying to find the rock wher the mantis is at..
Old 02-18-2005, 02:58 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

The Stomatopod aka. "Mantis Shrimp"

[quote="zuzecawi"]
Quote:
How much worse than that are mantis shrimp?
If they are agressive enough, they will break the glass of their aquarium. The strike of an adault California species has been tested and found to be equal to a .22 cal bullet.

This article lists their strike speed at 75 feet/sec....that is 51.44 mph 8O

http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/r...1_shrimp.shtml

My brother-in-law has a lfs he goes to in VA Beach, VA. They had a mantis shrimp in a display case for a while. They ended up removing it after it cracked the glass on it's 3rd aquarium. He said the owners of the store told him that people would come in and tap on the glass. This was a VERY aggressive mantis and it took glass-tapping as a personal challenge. It would come straight at the glass and start beating it.

Here is a GREAT site all about mantis....

http://www.blueboard.com/mantis/intro/special.htm

Vote for AquariumAdvice
NewFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 07:39 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFishGuy
The Stomatopod aka. "Mantis Shrimp"

My brother-in-law has a lfs he goes to in VA Beach, VA. They had a mantis shrimp in a display case for a while. They ended up removing it after it cracked the glass on it's 3rd aquarium. He said the owners of the store told him that people would come in and tap on the glass. This was a VERY aggressive mantis and it took glass-tapping as a personal challenge. It would come straight at the glass and start beating it.

which shop in va beach?
Aqualis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 02:02 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'd heard about the glass cracking but thought it was a urban legend... wow, that's impressive! (or terrifying) I think you've convinced me to do the rock dunk and see if I've got any of them. I feel bad killing anything I don't plan on eating, but I don't feel bad feeding it to something else!!! Would eels/triggers/lionfish eat a mantis shrimp?
btw, I have never heard of these critters until recently, why the sudden pop up of them? Environmental change? Increased importation?
Old 02-18-2005, 05:46 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualis

which shop in va beach?
Can't remember the name of it....He bought a house in Suffolk off of 664 about a year ago and still goes to Va Beach for his lfs.....he took me to 3-4 this last weekend when I was up there. The mantis was gone, but it was still a pretty nice store. I'll find out the name of it for ya.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
NewFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mantis shrimp, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com