Is this normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

obscurereef

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just had a diatom bloom start about a week ago (fairly new tank) and it just "disapppeared" pretty much, but I noticed that the water was cloudy today. With a koralia I blew the debri off from the rocks that was from the diatoms and the water got incredibly cloudy and yellow. What I'm confused about is if the debri and such was from the diatoms that died or if I have a TON of dead spots :hide:. I have 2 koralia 720s which is not a lot of flow for a 70 gallon 5' tank, but I don't want to spend a whole bunch of $ on powerheads that take up so much room! Also where is the best position for the powerhead for you, b/c right now I have them on the sides of the tank..was thinking of putting them on the back or something. And lastly, if I do decide to get more flow in there, what size/brand powerhead do you recommend? :thanks:

Usually in a dual power head setup, the best way to run them is on the sides of the tank, facing each other. This creates the most random flow and the most turbulance.

It sounds like what you were blowing off the rocks was most likely diatoms, but it also sounds like you might need some extra flow, depending on what type of coral you plan to keep. There are some nice power heads out there that don't take up so much room, but they are pricey. The MP40 is pretty cool since half of the bulk of the powerhead is on the outside of the tank. I run 2 MP10s on my 57 and I love them.

Yeah I would love to have an ecotech vortech pump if I had the money :( . Maybe they will be a good deal on a used one...just have to keep my eyes peeled :lol: Thanks

Back
Top Bottom