LED diy question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IchthyChris

Aquarium Advice Regular
Has anyone tried waterproof automotive led strip lights in the reef aquarium? You can get 16 ft of it for around $20. They are super bright 5050 smd and some have an rgb chip that allows them to change colors and are dimable. Please advise....

i saw them on ebay, i was told that if you want a brighter tank, thats fine luminus lighting, if you want better lighting for corals, (par) , its not the way to go

What if I mixed blue and bright white? The blue would penetrate deeper right? I read quite a few articles on lighting and I get most of it, but still a lil lost. I'm Against MH. expensive to run plus I would have to invest in a chiller and/or a bunch of fans in the hood. I don't want an open top cause I want jumpy fish... eventually.

i made my own light set up with gu10 3 watt blue, and white leds, which i bought on e-bay for 4 dollars apiece, i guess luminus lighting won't help corals,

biss444 said:
i made my own light set up with gu10 3 watt blue, and white leds, which i bought on e-bay for 4 dollars apiece, i guess luminus lighting won't help corals,

How much and how big was your diy fixture

I would go with the high power LEDs , like 1w and up emitters. I don't know the science behind this, but I do know all of the aquarium light manufacturers use 1w and up emitters, and I'm sure they would use the much cheaper smd 5050 or other strip LEDs if they were good for corals. I built my own led fixture using 10w hybrid ( blue and white on the same emitter) LEDs and am very pleased it cost me around $2 per watt to build so I have 90w and it was about $180 for the materials. I replaced a 250w metal halide and 4x t5ho

my light is hanging from ceiling over 200 gallon tank, 5ft long 2 feet wide, have 76 leds under, in four rows alternating blue and white, all four rows are wired seperately. all hooked up to a timer,ave cost was 4 dollars for every 3 watts, 76 lites.around 300 dollars for bulbs, got them on e-bay,.the inside of my light is lined with aluminum, to reflect more lite, actually have more lights on order, have room underneath for a couple more rows, so totalcosts including, lights, sockets, chain, wood, is about,450, dollars .

I have and still use them waterproof auto led's but only for moon lighting. It worked well, but when talking about lighting needs for corals it dosnt matter how many strips u use it will not work

paulweck said:
I have and still use them waterproof auto led's but only for moon lighting. It worked well, but when talking about lighting needs for corals it dosnt matter how many strips u use it will not work

Which auto ones do u use for moon lighting?

If u go to any auto store they sell waterproof strips of led's. That are ran off of 12v I just wired the up to a converted and plugged the right in here's a picture of my fowlr tank

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120712_171435.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120712_171435.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 125
1w LEDs won't do anything except light the tank up. For any coral growth it must be atleast 2w or each bulb. It's easier to just buy the marineland reef capable light fixture. I have one and it worked great till I went to MH. I have half tank MH and half led to see the better growth. Some corals are better under LEDs but most thrive better under MH. Ecoxtic makes amazing led fixtures. If you can afford it. They have some light fixtures that have MH and led together.

Back
Top Bottom