macro algae in display tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lbannie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was wondering, since I don't have a sump or refugium, should I put some macro algae (such as chaeto) into my tank. I've been looking around and some people put it under a corner or the rock so it stays put. Since it will be in my tank is chaeto the best? Or what else? Or nothing? Thanks Guys!!

I dont know why you cant. I put some grape calerpa in my tank but the tangs eat it up within days.

I used to.. but honestly, it gets so out of hand if you slack on pruning the algae. I had caulerpa and chaeto both in my display tank and the caulerpa grows at a pretty unbelievable rate IME and they attach themselves to anything including the sand bed. The chaetomorpha also will get out of hand if you have it in there without pruning, or very little pruning. The chaeto also seems to break apart really easily so it will eventually be EVERYWHERE in your display tank. I had pieces of chaeto on my rockwork, sandbed, powerheads, coral, and pretty much everything. If you like that sortof greenish look then i say go for it.. but i found it to be pretty ugly.

If however you do choose to put it in the display, you can just rubberband a nice wad of it to a rock and then just place it wherever you feel necessary. Just make sure light is getting to it otherwise it won't grow, obviously.

Back
Top Bottom