Missing shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tripper

Aquarium Advice Freak
I don't know if anyone will really be able to help me with this one, I am definitely stumped though. My tank has been in great shape for a few months now, except for some hair algae I've been fighting. I had about 5 peppermint shrimp and one cleaner shrimp in my tank for over 2 months. As we all know, peppermint shrimp hide all the time and you really will only see them at feeding time. Unfortunately, that's how my cleaner shrimp was too.

Anyway, in the last 2 weeks or so I haven't seen ANY of my shrimp. I think they may have all died or been killed, although I can't think of how that would happen. The only thing that has changed is I have been doing water changes to change from Oceanic to Instant Ocean salt.

The inhabitants of the tank are:
H. Irridis wrasse
Six line wrasse
Yellow watchman goby
Spotted Mandarin

It is a 72G bowfront. Water params as of last night:

pH - 8.2
Amm - 0ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 5ppm
Phos - 0ppm
Temp 80F
Salinity - 1.024

Any ideas?????

tripper

It wasn't a change in salinity. The salt mixture changed, which does have some affect on the chemical makeup of the tank, but I always match the salinity and temp of the new water to the main tank before doing a water change.

Any other ideas?

This happened in my tank overnight. I never ever saw hide nor hair nor antenae of these critters ever again. You see remnants of molts when they happen... I have no idea how my entire shrimp disappeared overnight with no sign of them to be found anywhere.

In my case I think it was when my nitrates spiked (or the resulting water changes that I did back to back) that overcame mine.

Sorry to hear of your missing inverts.

I guess my question at this point is . . . is it safe to add a couple cleaner shrimp again? As I said before, all my water paramaters are great and the fish are all looking good. I would hate to add more shrimp though just to have them disappear again.

tripper

I had 2, lost them. Added 2 more (2 days later: My husband did it, lol). Lost one. Added 2 more 2 weeks later and now I have 3. LOL. I think as long as everything is stable you could add more. I would be wondering what would happen to decimate your entire population all at once. That's a lot of shrimp to go missing. I would be starting to wonder if there could be an iodine issue in the tank. (do you do frequent/large water changes that would keep up the iodine? Do you dose anything?) I wonder if they weren't all competing for the iodine so were unable to molt? Did they molt frequently? Just a theory, mind you. I have 4 shrimp (1 peppermint and 3 skunk) in my 120; is 6 shrimp in a 72 crowded looking?

I think it would be a good idea to hold off on getting any new additions until your done w/ the salt mix change over. It may save you some $$ and headaches.

Do you have any predators in your tank? I caught my arrow crab a couple nights ago eating a cleaner shrimp leg like if it was a chicken drum stick. Thats the second cleaner he ate in the last 3 months. Pretty expensive meals I must say.

Phyl,

6 shrimps in a 72 was not crowded becasue the peppermints hid all the time. The reason I had so many was because I had an apstasia problem and the LFS was doing a 5 for $20 sale on pepps. I do bi-weekly 20% water changes and do not dose anything for this reason. However, I should probably by an iodine test kit and check it to make sure. I hadn't thought about the shrimp competing for the iodine in the water. Now that you mention it, I did not see many molts from them. That may have been the issue!!

Kwan,

I do not have any predators in the tank unless there is a hitchiker that I am unaware of. I try and keep a close eye on the tank too, so I don't think that is the issue, but who knows.

Either way, when I do decide to add more shrimp I will not have 6 like I did previously. I have no need for any peppermints at this point so I will probably stick to 2 cleaners or 1 cleaner and 1 fire shrimp.

Thank you all.

tripper

Back
Top Bottom