Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-06-2004, 01:02 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to troutman11111
my tank has me a prisoner

need some help on my top off water. i have a 2 1/2 gal kent aquadoser drip. this goes into my 20 gal refugium under my 75 gal oceanic. evaporation is a little over 1 gal a day, so every 2 days i have to fill it. i have no one to tank sit so i'm stuck home. i need a detailed way to set up a top off system. i have the r.o. unit,and 5, 5gal water jugs. i just got a 13 gal rubber made garbage can to put next to the tank. this will give me 7 days with plenty off water left in the can. i heard of a drip selinoid unit and a float valve.

Old 02-06-2004, 01:14 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to BONESTOCK
Have someone you trust house/tank sit.....seems easier to me. :|

Old 02-06-2004, 10:27 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Use the 5 gallon jug and air line tubing. Its a temporary fix while your out, but it will work and its reliable..and simple. Do the same thing you would do when you drip acclimate your fish.

Before you go on vacation, set up your 5 gallon jug w/ water and the tubing running from the jug to a milk jug. Tie a knot in the tubing..this will allow you to regulate how fas the water drips. Get the water running..tie the knot, then put it into the jug. You will have to fiddle w/ it to get it to the right drip rate of 1 gallon a day, but it shouldnt be hard.

When you leave, set up the 5 gallon jug w/ the line running to your sump set to the 1 gallon per day drip rate. You now have 5 days worth of top off that you know isnt going to malfunction and flood your tank.

Just make sure that once you have the drip rate set that you dont mess w/ the knot or you'll have to calibrate it all over again.

HTH

Squishy

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 11:41 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

thanks,that gives me 4 days instead of 2. i use the kent aqua dose drip tubing. i pull it out of the 2 1/2 gal container,put the 1 end in main tank straight up, tape it there, the other end in my refugium where the tank water goes in. i use the plastic wheel on the tubing to adjust the drip rate. my back is not doing that great, so i still want to set up this auto top off from my r.o/can?
75gal oceanic with 20 gal refugium, 750g.p.h.pump for HSA-250 skimmer, EHEIM-1250 PUMP FOR 200gph mincal. calcium reactor with 20lb co2 tank and co2 regulator with solenoid, 800G.P.H. overflow box pump and filter, aquaclearl 500 power filter for circulation and carbon use only,wave maker 900, 3x300g.p.h., pinpoint ph controller, delta star 1/3hp chiller.with 600g.p.h. pump, spectrapure automatic liquid level controller for the addition of ro.di.top off water, kent marine 4 stage delux maxxima 35g.p.d. hi-s, t.d.s. monitor, flush kit, 170lbs live rock, 5in sand bed, acropora's LG green,pink, and med purple, LG montipora encrusting purple, LG porities coral yellow, LG ruffled ridge coral, LG starburst coral green, green hairy mushrooms 100+, blue mushrooms, red mush, fluorescent green mush,green striped mush, bubble coral, LG finger leather and 2in baby, green ricordia mush, in refugium halimeda plant, caulerpa, and lot's of bug's. 1 purple tang, male and female percular clown's, 1 yellow wrasse
troutman11111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 11:53 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your dripping water from the main tank into the fuge....on the same tank?

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
Old 02-06-2004, 12:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

yes,but the water that dripped to the refugium is going into the new bag of fish,starfish,ext. dumping the same amount of tank water that went into the bag out every 5min, into a bucket then into the sink. 1 drop per sec,to 2 drops per sec. 6hrs on my 2 LG blue linkia that i got 1 week ago at petco 8.79 apeice. they are doing great. replacing the water i threw out with fresh saltwater.
75gal oceanic with 20 gal refugium, 750g.p.h.pump for HSA-250 skimmer, EHEIM-1250 PUMP FOR 200gph mincal. calcium reactor with 20lb co2 tank and co2 regulator with solenoid, 800G.P.H. overflow box pump and filter, aquaclearl 500 power filter for circulation and carbon use only,wave maker 900, 3x300g.p.h., pinpoint ph controller, delta star 1/3hp chiller.with 600g.p.h. pump, spectrapure automatic liquid level controller for the addition of ro.di.top off water, kent marine 4 stage delux maxxima 35g.p.d. hi-s, t.d.s. monitor, flush kit, 170lbs live rock, 5in sand bed, acropora's LG green,pink, and med purple, LG montipora encrusting purple, LG porities coral yellow, LG ruffled ridge coral, LG starburst coral green, green hairy mushrooms 100+, blue mushrooms, red mush, fluorescent green mush,green striped mush, bubble coral, LG finger leather and 2in baby, green ricordia mush, in refugium halimeda plant, caulerpa, and lot's of bug's. 1 purple tang, male and female percular clown's, 1 yellow wrasse
Old 02-06-2004, 12:41 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Maybe I am just having a blond moment, but you have lost me. Are we still talking about topping off the tank or acclimating fish? And I'm still not clear on how you drip..sounds like something more complicated that what I am used to.

Squishy

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
Old 02-07-2004, 12:32 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

http://www.rl180reef.com/pages/acclimation.htm#

this is how i drip, thanks to steve-s. i just reread my post and no it's not you. what i ment is i would take the tubing from my aquadoser and put it in the 5 gal jug and run it that way. or i could put it in the 13gal can as long as it is higher than the refugium. walt it sounds like i can go away now. I still want to know how to set up an auto top off system, money will not be a problem.
Old 02-07-2004, 12:37 PM   #9
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman11111
I still want to know how to set up an auto top off system, money will not be a problem.
Shoulda said that in the beginning... LOL

If money is not that much of an issue, I would suggest a Tunze Osmolator. There are three optional stages to it, one also being for calcium additions.

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-08-2004, 09:19 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

automatic water top-off system

I was able to make an automatic fresh water replenishment system by simply putting a small powerhead (Rio50) into a container of fresh water, blocking the tube completely and jamming an irrigation "dripper" into the tube. When the pump runs, it drips out about 300ml per hour. I use a cheap digital timer to turn this pump on and off 9x per day.

I can adjust the amount of top-off water by adjusting the number of minutes that the pump runs per day.

I put a small fresh water tank in place that SHOULD have held enough water for 1 week worth of evaporation....it didn't quite work out because I now realize that my fresh water holding tank is also evaporating!

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com