~NEON DOTTYBACK~

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaliGal

Aquarium Advice Activist
I would appreciate any feedback concerning Neon Dottybacks. The references I found prior to purchase regarding this fish all came across as positive for a reef tank. I have added one to my 180g. Thus far I have enjoyed this little guy's curiosity as s/he checks out the new homestead. It certainly is a beautifully colored fish.

Anyone hosting one in a tank or have experience to offer?

Sue

Neon Dottybacks....
I loved mine, but there are a few cons to this fish also...

1) They are mean as hell!!!!! I saw one get bit by a snake once and after 3 days of excruciating pain...the snake died!
2) They are mean!
3) Did I mention they are mean?

Seriously, they are mean and should probably be one of the last fish added to the aquarium. Anything added to the tank after them will be hazed worse than any fraternaty pledge, and if it has a body shape or color even close...it's toast. These fish are micro predators, the exploring will never stop, because it's not exploring, it's hunting. If you have a mandarin, do not get one of these fish, they will eat the mandarins food source and still eat the food you put in the tank. Mine was always fat, it looked like it had swallowed a baseball, after food additions, these fish can really pack it away. Other than those things, they are one of the coolest, most active fish you could ever have. Even with the stuff said about them, I love that fish, one of my all time favorite.

I would have to totally agree with reefrunner69 on this fish! It definately is a beautiful and awesome fish to watch but my wife gave me hers because it caused to much trouble in her 20 gallon mini-reef tank! Johnny:)

Thanks so much guys, for your valued experience. I am finding almost everything you mention to be true.

The little guy is EVERYWHERE and an absolute joy to watch. He is in and out of holes, caves, crevices and he traverses the tank all the while. He is always on the move. He does not seem at all interested in bothering any of the corals. (And... now I understand why, when I put my face right up to the front glass, he joined me and stayed there so I could examine him... he is bold!)

The colors are AMAZING on this creature, and his movement, well, I love it. This Neon Dottyback is about an inch long and smaller in girth than a pencil. I will recheck his average in-captivity size. Thus far he has not bothered his brothers and sisters; however, I guess I can look forward (or not) to his active but docile, mind-my-own-business personality to change. It's a joy to catch his racing strip looking body appearing then back into the rockwork and back out in a different place. And he ventures into lower, mid and high in the water column. He is sleek and reminds me of a race car.

It's a VERY interesting and entertaining fish, and... did I mention his COLORS.

Thanks again for the comments!

Sue

Back
Top Bottom