Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-05-2006, 12:56 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New Seahorse

Hi gang,

I'm hoping someone can assist in identifying what species of seahorse I just purchased.

I signed up for SeaHorse.org, but I can't get to any of the forums. I haven't been validated by the admin yet, so that may be why.

Here is a pic:

I purchased him/her tonight from the LFS for $50. He/she (from now on I'll just say "him") is a captive bred specimen.

I knew enough to ask the store what they fed him, and they gave the right answer in "enriched frozen mysis shrimp". I also asked that they feed him for me so I could watch. All the seahorses in the tank (there were about 5) looked healthy, and they all readily snapped up the large frozen mysis shrimp.

So, I picked the smallest one, picked up a large frozen "platter" of mysis shrimp, and a bottle of GVH fish food soak (Garlic, Vitamins, HUFAs).

I placed him in my main tank, a 35 gallon tall hex aquarium. He's doing fine so far, I even saw him eat a copepod off the floor of the aquarium, reminded me of a grouper or lionfish, slow until close enough and then...WHAM! Sucked right up!

I read the care articles on seahorse.org, however I don't see a place where they said how often they should be fed. So if anyone knows what species I have, and how often they should be fed, let me know!

Thanks!

Old 03-05-2006, 05:20 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to h8z2luze Send a message via MSN to h8z2luze Send a message via Yahoo to h8z2luze
Sorry I know nothing abot them but that is a really cool addition! I heard they are hard to care for and require special attention. But they are really awesome! Good luck!

Old 03-05-2006, 10:00 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

My guess would be H. Reidi.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:10 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Fluff is right (again!). That's what I have.
Seahorse.org is your best source for seahorse info.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:47 AM   #5

I took some more pics, it's either Reidi or Kuda, still not sure! I don't see a bunch of thin lines, just spots (I know it's impossible to tell in that photo) so it's definitely not Erectus.

I took some more shots, but because he's moving around this morning exploring his new territory, they all came out blurry. Here are the best three:

Still can't get to the Searhorse.org forums at all
Old 03-05-2006, 11:02 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Maybe they're having trouble sending you an email. You have to go thru the email they send you to activate your account.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaD
Maybe they're having trouble sending you an email. You have to go thru the email they send you to activate your account.
Hi Gina, yeah I did that and got a "Thank you black96ws6. Your registration has been successful. The administrator wishes to preview all new registered accounts before posting permissions are granted. The administrator has been notified of your registration."

I understand not being able to post, but not even being able to read any of the forums is not fun at all! I can't even see what others are talking about...

Tags
seahorse

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com