New Seahorse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Black96WS6

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi gang,

I'm hoping someone can assist in identifying what species of seahorse I just purchased.

I signed up for SeaHorse.org, but I can't get to any of the forums. I haven't been validated by the admin yet, so that may be why.

Here is a pic:

Seahorse1.jpg

I purchased him/her tonight from the LFS for $50. He/she (from now on I'll just say "him") is a captive bred specimen.

I knew enough to ask the store what they fed him, and they gave the right answer in "enriched frozen mysis shrimp". I also asked that they feed him for me so I could watch. All the seahorses in the tank (there were about 5) looked healthy, and they all readily snapped up the large frozen mysis shrimp.

So, I picked the smallest one, picked up a large frozen "platter" of mysis shrimp, and a bottle of GVH fish food soak (Garlic, Vitamins, HUFAs).

I placed him in my main tank, a 35 gallon tall hex aquarium. He's doing fine so far, I even saw him eat a copepod off the floor of the aquarium, reminded me of a grouper or lionfish, slow until close enough and then...WHAM! Sucked right up!

I read the care articles on seahorse.org, however I don't see a place where they said how often they should be fed. So if anyone knows what species I have, and how often they should be fed, let me know!

Thanks!

Sorry I know nothing abot them but that is a really cool addition! I heard they are hard to care for and require special attention. But they are really awesome! Good luck!

Fluff is right (again!). That's what I have.
Seahorse.org is your best source for seahorse info.

I took some more pics, it's either Reidi or Kuda, still not sure! I don't see a bunch of thin lines, just spots (I know it's impossible to tell in that photo) so it's definitely not Erectus.

I took some more shots, but because he's moving around this morning exploring his new territory, they all came out blurry. Here are the best three:

Seahorse2.jpg

Seahorse3.jpg

Seahorse4.jpg

Still can't get to the Searhorse.org forums at all :(

Maybe they're having trouble sending you an email. You have to go thru the email they send you to activate your account.

GinaD said:
Maybe they're having trouble sending you an email. You have to go thru the email they send you to activate your account.

Hi Gina, yeah I did that and got a "Thank you black96ws6. Your registration has been successful. The administrator wishes to preview all new registered accounts before posting permissions are granted. The administrator has been notified of your registration."

I understand not being able to post, but not even being able to read any of the forums is not fun at all! I can't even see what others are talking about...

Back
Top Bottom