Nitrite Levels Safe to add starter fish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RYANLAWRENCE

Aquarium Advice Freak
hey guys im new to the saltwater tank hobby and am currently cycling my tank. My ammonia reads 0, and my nitrite reads .3mg/l which is the lowest level on my testing kit. Is it safe to add a couple of starter fish? I was thinking a pair of yellowtail blue damsels since they are cheap? Is this a good choice? Any other reccomendations?? Thanks guys

Wait for your nitrites get to 0 and you start to see some nirates. I would not put any Damsels in your tank. Damsels can get real nasty and it would be hard to add other fish later on. Wait and get the good fish that you want. By the way what size tank do you have

Wait for your nitrites get to 0 and you start to see some nirates. I would not put any Damsels in your tank. Damsels can get real nasty and it would be hard to add other fish later on. Wait and get the good fish that you want. By the way what size tank do you have
i completely agree. "starter fish" become PITA fish in a short time.
just wait until the cycle is finished and add the fish you want.

Ok thanks guys also I have one more question. I have been having a hard time maintaining my pH. I have been having to add buffer in it every day. If I dont, the pH falls to 7.7 without fail. My KH is very good about 14. But the pH has been giving me trouble for about a week and a half. Anyone have any ideas of what is causing this? I have a powerhead that blows out aerated water so i think i am getting enough aeration. Any ideas?

Don't let your Power Head shoot out bubbles that will only give you a bad salt creep. Just point it to the surface. Don't worry about your PH as swings are very common with new tanks. Stop with the buffers as this will only make matters worst because you are not letting your tank find its equilbrium.

You're still cycling the tank, so your pH will be all over the place. The more biological activity is going on inside your tank, the more the pH will want to drop. And during the cycle, you have LOTS of stuff going on!

Don't bother messing with pH during the cycle. After the cycle is over and you do a big water change to eliminate the built-up nitrates, your pH should stabilize and become more reasonable.

Thanks guys that was good information from both of yall. about the powerhead, you said to not let it blow bubbles? will i be getting enough gas exchange in my tank if i do not let it blow bubbles since i have a glass hood. i also do not have an aerator, just the powerhead so would you reccomend getting an aerator to aerate the water instead of the powerhead

Remove the glass hood. Oxygenation takes place at the water surface. Air bubbles only help when the break the surface causing a bit of surface agitation. You want a powerhead (or 2 or more) that point a bit towards the surface so that you don;t have a flat surface,, but rather a rippled surface.

Keeping a glass top prevents the gas exchange which can lower your pH.

When your cycle is complete you want to do a large partial water change (30% - 50%). Then leave the tank alone for another week. At that point check all the water parameters:
PH
Temp
Ammonia
NitrIte
NItrAte
Calcium
Alk
Magnesium
SG (Specific Gravity / Salinity)
Measured with a refactometer (swing arms are notoriously unreliable)

Do not use an aerator. I would remove your glass cover. that alone will raise your ph. The only reason I say to not use an aerator is the amount of salt you would have to clean off your tank and

In addition Clownfish (Ocellaris, Percula, Clarkii, Maroon, Tomato etc) are great starter fish. They are a kind of Damsel and have all the toughness but none of the attitude.

OK thanks guys for all the help but now i have another question. My nitrite levels have not fallen for a week. They have been staying at .3 mg/L and not decreasing. Is this normal?

It's normal, the bacteria have to adjust their metabolisms and also new nitrite consuming bacteria must colonize.

OK thanks guys for all the help but now i have another question. My nitrite levels have not fallen for a week. They have been staying at .3 mg/L and not decreasing. Is this normal?

Yes, it is very normal. Nitrites are the last hump before the rewards begin!:p

Mine took 1.5weeks to reduce at all. And then they dropped quickly. Trust me, it will seem like something is wrong but then all of a sudden its over.

Matt

Depends on if it's carribean or pacific rock. Pacific rock is lighter and has more crevices, so you need less. Carribean is much denser so yuo need more to get the same surface area for baceria to colonize.
1½ - 2 pounds per gallon.

Back
Top Bottom