Ph questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djxtreme504

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Let me explain the setup first. I recently converted a 65g FW to SW using a DSB made of mostly HomeDepot play sand that I read in some other posts that was safe. The top 0.5 to 2" layer is crushed aragonite from an established 29g. I have about 25 lbs of LR from the 29 gal also. I used Cycle bacteria in the water when adding the play sand to help it become "alive" a little faster. I then waited 48 hours before putting the aragonite and LR in. 24 hours later, no sign of ammonia, nitrites, or nitrate. I put in a couple of pepp. shrimp, snails and hermit crabs. Now, 2 days later, the shrimp are dead, 2 or 3 of the hermits are dead and I am having to put in Kent Superbuffer twice a day to keep the Ph up. Even with the dead shrimp I am not seeing signs of ammonia or a cycle. I know that using stuff from another tank would help it cycle faster, but could the tank actually have cycled already? And what can I do to keep the Ph up? I am assuming it is because of the sand, but no one else has seemed to have this problem. Please help and sorry for the long post.

What is in your tank besides the newly added inverts?

If you don't have any ammonia producers and you brought sand and rock from an established tank, you really wouldn't see a cycle.

What is your ph at right now? and how are you adding the superbuffer?

If you are mixing it directly into the tank, it could change the ph suddenly and kill sensitive inverts such as a pepp. shrimp.

What kind of tank was the sand and rock from? (FOWLR, Reef, QT)

adrian,

I forgot to add that I do have a percula clown and some kind of blenny in the tank also.
ph is at 7.8 - 8.0 right now. lights have been on for about 2 hours. the last 2 days it has been at 7.6 - 7.8. I have been dissolving 2 spoonfuls of the buffer in a pitcher of freshwater and then pouring it into the tank over about 5 to 10 minutes.
Is it possible this could be bringing up the ph too quickly?

The sand was from a FOWLR. The largest piece of LR is completly covered with calerpa.

Another question...I just poured the old sand over the new. Should I have mixed it? Or would that have made any difference?

First off Welcome To AquariumAdvice

Second I would suggest that you read the fishless cycling method in the articles section.. It sounds to me as though the tank is cycling.. during that time the pH will fluctuate quite extreme... What are the ammonia nitrite levels right now??? I would remove all inhabitants and either take them back to the LFS for credit to pick them up later or move them to a different tank for the time being... I would avoid adding any buffer at the moment.. A properly cycled tank should be able to hold its pH without adding buffer to the tank so much..

HTH<
James

Post your current levels, I also suspect that your tank is cycling. That would explain your low pH, during the cycle buildups of acids drive the pH lower. What test kits are you using? Did you add any ammonia removing products that may be affecting the results of your kits?

Back
Top Bottom