Powerhead Required?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Petey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 40g tank, running with a 200gph Eheim Canister filter and a skimmer that I'd say cycles 40-50gph. Should I add a powerhead to get increased circulation or does what I have sound sufficient? What is the typical target range for circulation gph?

I would add at least 1 200GPH PH. Have it interact with the flow from your canister. If it were me, i would find 2 small PH,s 100-150GPH and add them to interact with each other.

I would, what you have right now is not really enough IMO. I lot of people run marine tanks with a 20x or so water turnover rate to reduce dead spots and keep water moving through the rock. You have a 6X turnover rate, very low for a marine tank.

15X is a good target and you can adjust it from there. More imporant than the total flow will be position powerheads and water outlets to eliminate any possible dead spots.

It depends on what type tank you want. FO or reef. I was always told about 10x per/hr for FO and reef up to 20x. Some will recommend even more.

all good comments...yes definitely need another 200gph...I'd probably go with a maxijet 1200, which I think is 295gph. 10 x per hour is the minimum. i'm skating somewhere around 14.5x per hour.

You can't really count the skimmer flow.

Back
Top Bottom