Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-13-2013, 12:56 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I must agree with everybody that they will not eat zoas if they are healthy. Zoas have one of the most deadly toxins known. They let out a slime to protect themselves so anything eating them will die. So maybe test your water and do a series of water changes maybe that will help your zoas out and keep anything from eatin its dieoff.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:18 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by irving91 View Post
I must agree with everybody that they will not eat zoas if they are healthy. Zoas have one of the most deadly toxins known. They let out a slime to protect themselves so anything eating them will die. So maybe test your water and do a series of water changes maybe that will help your zoas out and keep anything from eatin its dieoff.
Yes and no. While certain groups of zoanthids, particular the palythoa group are know to contain and extrude the potentially deadly palytoxin, most cases of proposed poisoning are not clear-cut enough to make these types of generalized statements. Here's a link to a very informative discussion and group of articles on the subject.

Palytoxin Poisoning and its Potential Dangers

Further the statement that anything consuming zoanthids is going to die is also inaccurate. The amphipods consuming those damaged or decaying polyps are not going to be affected, and I've personally observed fish (particularly tangs) consume zoa polyps and while they may have had a period of hyperactivity after doing so, they certainly didn't die from consuming them.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:40 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Interesting article to read. I learned a bit from it. Okay you say my post is inaccurate, but in the wild there are plenty of animals immune to poisoning From other animinals. So my "anything eating them will die" should have been more accurate I apologize! Alhough if they are eating them it is the die off which I would assume they dont leach out their chemicals on die off.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:45 AM   #14
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I think the point is that some fish and inverts *can* eat zoas without problem... healthy or not. There are some nudibranches that will decimate healthy zoa colonies.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:25 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr funktastic View Post
Non of my fish died. All are very healthy and happy in the quarantine tank currently. With the ich already cleared up. What level should I look at specifically.
Then it may be the same problem that's stressing your fish. I can't tell you what the problem is. You are going to have to test everything with quality test kits to be sure.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:18 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Are you sure they are pods and not flatworms smothering your corals? Just a thought.

Tags
eat, eating, problem, zoanthid, zoanthids

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com