Originally Posted by irving91
I must agree with everybody that they will not eat zoas if they are healthy. Zoas have one of the most deadly toxins known. They let out a slime to protect themselves so anything eating them will die. So maybe test your water and do a series of water changes maybe that will help your zoas out and keep anything from eatin its dieoff.
Yes and no. While certain groups of zoanthids, particular the palythoa group are know to contain and extrude the potentially deadly palytoxin, most cases of proposed poisoning are not clear-cut enough to make these types of generalized statements. Here's a link to a very informative discussion and group of articles on the subject.
Palytoxin Poisoning and its Potential Dangers
Further the statement that anything consuming zoanthids is going to die is also inaccurate. The amphipods consuming those damaged or decaying polyps are not going to be affected, and I've personally observed fish (particularly tangs) consume zoa polyps and while they may have had a period of hyperactivity after doing so, they certainly didn't die from consuming them.