Question :-/

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zidion

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i joined this site last year, when i was really interested in getting an aquarium. I decided to hold off, and good thing I did because my town got hit by the hurricane ivan (pensacola)

well, again im thinking of getting one, but dont want to because of all these hurricanes we have down here :( but was curious on how other people with aquariums in florida handle it.

What do you do if you dont have power? Here in pensacola, there is a huge fish store, and I always wondered if they lost all their fish or not, because some places were without power for like a week!

jsut curious on how it all works before I begin to thin kany farther.

most people who live in hurricane prone areas have generators... especially if you own a business that will be dependent on energy to maintain your stock.

i have heard of people running a generator for the bare essentials. i.e. a filter or a circulation pump, and a heater. you should be able to go without lights for a while, and as long as you keep the water relatively clean and warm, you should be able to recover after the power is turned back on.

if you really want to be safe, get a generator. it is be realtively cheap insurance, just make sure it works by running it every so often (every 2-3 months) and using a gasoline stabilizer to prevent the gas from turning to varnish. plus, im sure you will want some light and power for your own lives as well (not just for your fish) 8).

~mike

Get a generator NOW.

When Oklahoma had the ice storm some years ago, you couldnt find a generator if your life depended on it.

Buy one NOW while you can, and you will have it ready.

Or if it costs too much, just keep some nitrate/nitrite/ammonia reducer close, along with a waterchange ready (although you shouldnt run out of water).

Get a generator, not only for the tank but for other basic needs around the house. I bought one after last years hurricanes. As far as water temperature, the last thing we will need to worry about here in Florida is keeping the water warm. The issue will be keeping it cool enough. Make sure you have a fan to run across the tank until you can get A/C running again, or if you want to spend lots of $ get a chiller. I wouldnt let the worries of losing power keep you from enjoying an aquarium, they are too much fun!

Back
Top Bottom