question about sea horses (and copepods)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. Quint

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have just acquired a couple of seahorses.

Tank = 30 gallons, with 55 gallon filter, 20 gallon powerhead, HOB protein skimmer.

Tankmates = Cardinal; Blenny.

They've been in there for a little over a week, and they seem to be doing great (1x per day). They eat frozen mysis shrimp every time I feed them, and I have added 1 bottle of copepods ("Tiggerpods?") to the tank.

My questions are:

How can I tell if they're eating enough? (I see them grab 6-12 shrimp per feeding, followed by some intensified browsing for copepods, and usually some additional eating).

How long can I expect 1 dose of copepods to hold them, snack-wise? (I think the bottle said 1000-2000 of them)

Thanks to anyone who has any ideas.

I just feed mine twice a day and make sure they each get at least 5 pieces. I also have amphipods in my tank so its possible they snack on those. The seahorses should be fine with being fed twice a day, you shouldn't need to add copepods but the seahorses might like that as a treat every once in awhile.

Thanks, Kelsey! It's good to know that I seem to be on the right track. So far, the seahorses continue look like they're doing great -- so, you must be right. The Tiggerpods are bit strange. I have added them to the tank on two different occasions. They always seem to be gone a day later, and then I never see them again. Of course, they're small, but still. I don't know where they go. Inside the seahorses, I guess...

Thanks, Kelsey! It's good to know that I seem to be on the right track. So far, the seahorses continue look like they're doing great -- so, you must be right. The Tiggerpods are bit strange. I have added them to the tank on two different occasions. They always seem to be gone a day later, and then I never see them again. Of course, they're small, but still. I don't know where they go. Inside the seahorses, I guess...
After lights out for about 2-3 hours,shine a torch down into the tank,you'll see plenty swimming around.

Back
Top Bottom