Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-31-2007, 04:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quick question: How long does saltwater last in a container?

Hi I've got a quick, rather dumb question. I've had 10 gallons of saltwater sitting in two 5 gallon containers in my garage. Its been there for almost 2 weeks as i havn't gotten a chance to do a water change on my 100 gallon yet. I want to do the water change today -- can I use the water? It hasn't, gone bad or anything has it?

How long can saltwater be kept before its used for a water change. Remember, this isn't some big barrel with a powerhead and stuff inside. Just a couple 5 gallon containers.

Thanks!

Old 03-31-2007, 06:25 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I had some water that I kept about a week and a half and it was cloudy and no good. Just check it out but my guess is it might be too stale. I usually try to make sure I use mine within 3 or 4 days.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 06:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

You should be fine to use it just drop a power head or an air pump into it for 24 hours before use . I mix up ours 10 gallons at a time but always store it in a dark , cool and dry area ... it takes a bit of time to use it since we only have nanos I have not seen any advers effects by doing it this way ... I have stored it up to 2 months with no problems HTH
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 09:42 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I had some water that I kept about a week and a half and it was cloudy and no good. Just check it out but my guess is it might be too stale. I usually try to make sure I use mine within 3 or 4 days.
Do you notice a white powder film on the top of the water or on the sides of the container? My oceanic started doing this. I have kept water for a few weeks though. I keep and PH and a heater in it.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisz
Quote:
Do you notice a white powder film on the top of the water or on the sides of the container? My oceanic started doing this. I have kept water for a few weeks though. I keep and PH and a heater in it.
The white is common it is the salt and the trace elements settling , a good shake and rairation should fix it . As for the allowing of the PH and heater in please remember to check your salinity so that you dont add water that has a higher spg that could effect your inhibatants adversly .
Old 04-01-2007, 12:53 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

As long as I keep the lid on my SW trash can, the water is alright. W/ no lid, it gets some funk on the bottom of the can after a few days. HTH
Old 04-02-2007, 10:24 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
I agree two weeks should be fine as long are you remix it for a couple of hours (preferably with a ph) and match the ph/sg/temp to the main.

10 gal in a 100 gal tank isn't going to affect it much either way if it's not "fresh".

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:26 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I have that same white gritty stuff. I had just assumed it is calcium/lime and some other stuff. I just pump the water into the tank and rinse out the bucket.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 02:03 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

the power head is the key here.
I mix 30 gal of r/o water up at a time and keep the salinity at .015. two days before a water change I put the heater on and then recheck the salinity level when the temp is 78 degrees. At this point I bring the salt level up to .024 and make the water change.
--and I use a refractometer for measuring the salinity level--not a hydrometer--too many errors.
Tangster
Old 04-03-2007, 03:22 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangster
the power head is the key here.
I mix 30 gal of r/o water up at a time and keep the salinity at .015. two days before a water change I put the heater on and then recheck the salinity level when the temp is 78 degrees. At this point I bring the salt level up to .024 and make the water change.
--and I use a refractometer for measuring the salinity level--not a hydrometer--too many errors.
Tangster
What is the point of mixing low and adding more later wouldnt it just be easier to mix it properly the first time ?

Tags
ick, long, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com