Timers and Protein skimmers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loganizzi

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was thinking of adding a timer to my SeaClone 100 so that it only operates for about 8hrs/day @ night. Does anyone do this sort of thing already? Are there any disadvantages to this method, assuming it can keep up with the removal of DOC? Things I'm wondering about:

- additional wear on power head by turning on and off regularly
- standing water for ~16hrs per day in skimmer body
- reduced water flow in tank

why I want to do this
- reducing noise (tank is in TV room)
- saving electricity
- seems like it has no problem keeping up with current DOC in tank and spends a lot of time doing nothing

thanks

I don't know about additional wear on the powerhead (unless it is a RIO - don't do it). it may or may not hurt it. As far as standing water I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you have sufficient water movement, removing the skimmer's flow won't matter.
Sounds like a good idea to me.

i never heard of doing that,but i still think the skimmer is the heart of any reef tank. i would not do it. as for the noise put it under tank in a refugium if you have doors with your stand. if not do what i did for yrs get used to it. electricity is nothing on a skimmer,your lights draw the power. 8)

saving electricity

I think the recommended PH for the seaclone is a maxijet 1200. They are listed as consuming 20W of electricity. Any savigs in electrictiy will probably not be noticed.

seems like it has no problem keeping up with current DOC in tank and spends a lot of time doing nothing

How about maybe running it on weekends only? or maybe shutting the ventrui valve so it does not inject air but for the specified time period you want to to acually skim. Shutting the ventrui valve will baiscly just cause it to become a PH and move water when it not skimming.

shutting the valve,what a genuis.i could have turned it off while watching t.v. all those yrs. thanks. my new tank has it under. :)

Back
Top Bottom