Upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raleighfishnerd

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Getting ready to upgrade from a 10g to 40g breeder just wondering the best way to switch everything over. Should I just take all livestock and coral put into a bucket then move sand and rocks over wait for it to clear up then check levels and then drip acclimate and put in livestock in? Seems too easy am I missing something?

How old is the 10gallon? I'm not sure I would move the sand over if it's been up for a while.
Are you adding more rock to the 40?
The best way to do this is to add your new rock and new sand to the 40b, cycle it, then move everything (rock and livestock) over all at once to the cycled 40.
If you are putting it in the same spot, use some furniture mover sliders under the 40b, and you'll be able to slide it right in place after you move the 10.

Tank has been up for 2 months. Have about 20lbs in the 10 and just got another 15-20lbs live for it and I have some dry as well

Oh..well, I wouldn't be too concerned with a 2 month old sand bed. I would still cycle the 40b with all the new stuff before adding the 10's contents.

Ok then looks like the start of another cycle! Thanks for the help. I can't screw anything up in this transfer because this is my girlfriends tank I setup for her.

As a matter of fact, when you do your water changes on the 10, vacuum out some of the sand bed with it, and pour that sand and water right in the 40b. This way, you have saved your existing sand bed and won't have to worry about clouding up the water with the livestock in it in a few weeks when you transfer everything over.

I'm under the impression the OP is going to add 3 times the rock to the 40b, along with more livestock. You will need a much larger bacteria colony than what lives in the 10 gallon. A little bit of filter media, or even 10 pounds of rock will not be sufficient IMO.

I'm under the impression the OP is going to add 3 times the rock to the 40b, along with more livestock. You will need a much larger bacteria colony than what lives in the 10 gallon. A little bit of filter media, or even 10 pounds of rock will not be sufficient IMO.

It will be about 40lbs of live rock plus about 10 dry and the live sand from the 10g and about 5lbs of live rock rubble in the sump. The extra rock has been in my other tanks. So would the bacteria colony possibly be sufficient enough to transfer everything?

Oh...if it's all already cycled and in your other tanks right now, everything should be fine. I believe it would be ok.

So you think it might be ok to start transferring over? I just don't want to jump the gun on anything

Yeah I just checked and everything was 0 except trates which looked between 0&5ppm couldn't really tell. So I just dosed ammo up to 2ppm and will check in the morning for levels. Btw API test kit

Ok so I put all of the rock That isn't still in the 10 into the tank yesterday and an emerald crab rode one over. He seems to still be doing good this morning.

All water parameters checked out perfect today so the transfer is in progress. So far so good. Update with pics after.

Back
Top Bottom