Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-05-2007, 06:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Water top off system - suggestions

I would like to implement a water top off solution for my tanks.

I am fortunate enough to have a great water source from our city, no RO/DI needed, so I would like to plumb directly to my tank (I have got that part covered) and I need some ideas for a good float / ballast system. Of course, I could always put an I/V clamp on some flex hose and allow a constant drip; however, I am looking for an elegant solution.

I have a tremendous amount of evaporation in my dual tank configuration (310 gallons) which requires me to add anywhere from 5 to 15 gallons of water a week to the system.

I have had these tanks in operation for over a year, so the bucket carrying is getting a little old.

Any ideas would be appreciated (so would pictures of your systems in action).

kimberly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 11:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via AIM to ferretttt Send a message via Yahoo to ferretttt
I have adapted a system from my water pipes, into a ro/di since I need it, but I suppose you could do without it.

If you look in the DIY section, you will see some odeas, but basically, I tapped the cold water pipe, and used flexible tubing for that, to a valve that prevents backflow. This then goes to a float valve in the sump. when water supply is needed, it simply fills.

I have mine go to a 10 gallon bottle first, so it can settle out, but you can do it any way you want to.

Eric "FerretBoy" T
ferretttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:19 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
The RO/DI removes the chlorine from the water. Tapping the water pipe straight to the tank would be a bad idea. I fill a 29 gal tank with ro/di water and a float in my sump triggers a pump in the 29 gal to supply water. The 29 gal is plenty to last me a week or more. I normally just fill 15 gal at a time.
*180 gal Display, 100 gal basement sump, 33 gal refugium, 3x250 MH, 2x160 VHO actinics, zoos, some softies, LPS & lots of acros and other SPS.
*100 gal prop tank plumbed into main system w/ 2x96 PC lights and 1x150 MH,
ellisz is offline   Reply With Quote

stem, suggestions, system

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com