Water top off system - suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimberly

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I would like to implement a water top off solution for my tanks.

I am fortunate enough to have a great water source from our city, no RO/DI needed, so I would like to plumb directly to my tank (I have got that part covered) and I need some ideas for a good float / ballast system. Of course, I could always put an I/V clamp on some flex hose and allow a constant drip; however, I am looking for an elegant solution.

I have a tremendous amount of evaporation in my dual tank configuration (310 gallons) which requires me to add anywhere from 5 to 15 gallons of water a week to the system.

I have had these tanks in operation for over a year, so the bucket carrying is getting a little old.

Any ideas would be appreciated (so would pictures of your systems in action).

I have adapted a system from my water pipes, into a ro/di since I need it, but I suppose you could do without it.

If you look in the DIY section, you will see some odeas, but basically, I tapped the cold water pipe, and used flexible tubing for that, to a valve that prevents backflow. This then goes to a float valve in the sump. when water supply is needed, it simply fills.

I have mine go to a 10 gallon bottle first, so it can settle out, but you can do it any way you want to.

The RO/DI removes the chlorine from the water. Tapping the water pipe straight to the tank would be a bad idea. I fill a 29 gal tank with ro/di water and a float in my sump triggers a pump in the 29 gal to supply water. The 29 gal is plenty to last me a week or more. I normally just fill 15 gal at a time.

Back
Top Bottom