when will it clear up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ohio reefer

Aquarium Advice Freak
it's been a week and one day since i added my salt and southdown to my water. there is no fish, no lights, just put a heater in yesterday. and it's still cloudy. i can see the back of the tank but it is still pretty cloudy. i have the pump running from the sump to the main tank and a separate power head running from the sump to the fuge. so there is circulation in there.

am i just being inpatient? any suggestions would be much appreciated!!!

tia

mark

It sounds like you added uncured sand. The bacteria has to attach to the sediment before it will settle. That can easily take a week. The fact that you just now added the heater would have slowed the growth of the bacteria. In 82degree temp w/ adequate nutrients in the water, bacteria can double its population in a half hour. I would expect it to clear up anytime now. Give it a day or so.

I put a poly filter where the water enters the sump and remove it after the tank has cleared. It clears up with in a few hours of vac-ing the CC. Don't know if this is exceptable because I'm a newbie :wink: but it is quite effective.

Bryce

w/ CC it wont hurt anything. With a DSB you want it in the tank because it is valuable living area for the bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom