Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-13-2008, 04:26 PM   #51
AA Team Emeritus

lol i wanna see some pics of the pond...sounds interesting

Dorm Pico Tank
Old 07-13-2008, 07:31 PM   #52
AA Team Emeritus

Same question. Nice progress so far. Don't let us rush your too much, but get back to work (on the tank).

Old 07-13-2008, 09:37 PM   #53
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Looks like everything is hard plumbed. I would suggest putting a union on each (4) of those overflows. Without them, it would be impossible to take it apart or move the overflows without cutting the pipe.
Check out The build project
Old 07-14-2008, 03:56 AM   #54
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilanh View Post
If you're drilling the tank anyway for the CL, why not for the overflows too? Just don't want to put a dursto in the tank?
If I were to put the durso in It would really need to be drilled on the bottom and the bottom is tempered glass. Not even going to try that. The Eshopps Overflows are pretty good so I'm going to stick with them. Drilling the three holes for the closed loop gave me enough gray hair!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccapt View Post
Looks like everything is hard plumbed. I would suggest putting a union on each (4) of those overflows. Without them, it would be impossible to take it apart or move the overflows without cutting the pipe.
I designed the manifold to slip over the closed loop shutoffs...each of those will have a union on them to remove the bottom portion of the plumbing. The rest of the drain lines will also have break points below the manifold so I can remove each part. I didn't want to add unions above the manifold because of the space between the tank and the wall. It is already going to be tight. I tested removing the overflows as you seem them in the pics and with very little effort they slip up and out of the tank and then below the closed loop. If ever I need to remove the overflows the close loop will have to come off first (below the shut offs that is).
Old 07-14-2008, 12:35 PM   #55
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

This may be a stupid question, but I will ask it anyway. What is a closed loop? How does it differ from the regular overflow down to the sump and back up type system? Thanks.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:40 PM   #56
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryshark View Post
This may be a stupid question, but I will ask it anyway. What is a closed loop? How does it differ from the regular overflow down to the sump and back up type system? Thanks.
A closed loop is a circular system in that water comes out of the tank goes into a pump and the is pumped right back into the tank. It does not go through and over flow or through any filtration. A closed loop is designed for flow only.

On my tank there are 3 holes, the one in the center is what the intake from the pump will be plumbed to and the other 2 are the returns. So water will come out of the center hole go into the pump and the be pumped back into the tank through the other 2 holes.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:42 PM   #57
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Here is a pic of my reef in the 90g pond.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:15 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Looks like you are making a lot of progress. When is the new pump supposed to get there?
Old 07-14-2008, 03:28 PM   #59
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Well we have the tank 1/3 filled with water the basic plumbing is finished and until I get the new pump in and hooked up I will only be using two of the 4 drains off the manifold. I have one side hooked up to the skimmer and the other going into my fuge.

I'll post some pics in a few minutes....
Old 07-14-2008, 03:44 PM   #60
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Me trying to figure out what the heck I was thinking! The tank on the stand...whew it weighs a lot!

The tank on the stand with the sand in it....

Water going into the tank.....

More water in the tank....and some of the base rocks out of one of the totes...

Closed Thread

Tags
build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com