55 gal help? Mixing community cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

siva

Aquarium Advice Addict
I knew I was going to get a 55 to move my rainbow shark into, but I didn't expect it to be for quite a while still. Looks like I should have it by next week. I'm pretty excited as up until now my largest tank has been a 29 so my options have been more limited. So the fish I've been wanting that I haven't had a tank large enough for are Boesemani rainbows (3-5?) and glass cats (6) and then I have my albino rainbow shark, who I think is just about full grown, and he's less than 4". I don't know much about cichlids yet, can the community cichlids be mixed? Could I have an angel and a kribensis? Are those fish even compatible with my rainbow shark? He's a pretty nice guy. What about pictus cats? Is this tank big enough for a pair of those? Of course I'll be doing tons of research but I want opinions from you guys and gals. Stock list suggestions would be much appreciated. It's hard for me to tell in writing what stocks a 55...having never had one or the fish I'll be putting in it.

I read but i can't help too much, I keep FW african cichlids which don't really mix with anything lol.

Hopefully someone will come along, it's been a little slow this week so far :)

Rams (which are dwarf cichlids) can mix with other community fish.
I'm looking for some Bolivian Rams myself. German Blue Rams are the most flashy rams, but they're also really sensitive.
I think Kribs can also be mixed, but I'm not too sure about the angelfish, since that's technically a cichlid as well.
I definitely would get a pair of pictus cats. As long as you don't get a morph or hybrid, they'll only get about 6" TOPS (4" being more common), and are entertaining, intelligent, and beautiful. However, I've been sold a few pictus cats that turned out to be hybrids that outgrew 5". Just make sure you know what you're buying. :> Pim catfish enjoy each others company. I have my four-line pictus as my profile picture, if you're interested in different varieties. He's about 8" now, and still growing.
But again, be careful..
Here's a regular pictus..
pictus-lg.jpg

And here's my (Late) fish that was sold to me as a spotted pictus, but was actually a hybrid or morph.
img_1298482_1_ce7fa09768d3d82b620031b4cf92d9a3.jpg

My friend has one that looks like that spotted one in a 10 gallon tank. He's had it for quite some time and it's about 4". I would think it would have to be better off in my 55! I'm trying to get him to give it to me :)
edit: it looks like the top picture

What about having like 2 or 3 rams, 1 krib, and 2 angels together..can that be done? With my shark? And the rainbows and glass cats? And 2 pictus? Is that overstocked?

I threw your list on AqAdvisor and the stocking level was 124%, which isn't that bad. I'd just be more concerned about the compatibility of the cichlids than overstocking. Glass cats are super shy and won't bother a thing, and they're too quick to be picked on. Pictus cats generally hide or chill during the day and go crazy at night, and generally get along well with everything. They're labeled as "semi-aggressive" just because they're cats. We need to get a ram/krib expert in here, cause I've never kept them. :(

I just had my first ram..got him on the 6th and found him dead this morning
:(

Yeah AqAdvisor says 5 boesmani's is 50% capacity on a 55 :eek:

edit: ok it says 5 of the boesmanis 6 glass cats and 2 angels stocks my tank.
I'm not sure what to make of that because I see people around here with way more than that in a tank this size.

I wouldn't pay much attention to AqAdvisor other than for entertainment purposes... JMO. :)

What about having like 2 or 3 rams, 1 krib, and 2 angels together..can that be done? With my shark? And the rainbows and glass cats? And 2 pictus? Is that overstocked?

That's a tough call. I haven't kept pictus or glass cats so I really can't advise there. The rainbow shark should have a couple more inches of growing to do. Some can become aggressive as they age. Some don't. There's really no way to tell what you're going to end up with.

As for the cichlids, you have a fairly large footprint there but my gut reaction is that 3 rams and a krib may lead to problems. An angel pair should work out. You can keep 3 rams (try a trio) but in that instance I would not add the krib.

I feel the same way, I was just bored and I thought it might give me a heads up to compatiblity issues. ;)

Do you know how long it takes the rainbow sharks to reach their full size? I can't seem to get a straight answer on that...I know it probably varies but can you estimate?

Ok so to clarify, keeping 2 angels and 3 rams in the same tank should be OK? I hope so. I'd rather have those two than the krib anyway.

Would a krib be an option for a 29 gal?

I knew I was going to get a 55 to move my rainbow shark into, but I didn't expect it to be for quite a while still. Looks like I should have it by next week. I'm pretty excited as up until now my largest tank has been a 29 so my options have been more limited. So the fish I've been wanting that I haven't had a tank large enough for are Boesemani rainbows (3-5?) and glass cats (6) and then I have my albino rainbow shark, who I think is just about full grown, and he's less than 4". I don't know much about cichlids yet, can the community cichlids be mixed? Could I have an angel and a kribensis? Are those fish even compatible with my rainbow shark? He's a pretty nice guy. What about pictus cats? Is this tank big enough for a pair of those? Of course I'll be doing tons of research but I want opinions from you guys and gals. Stock list suggestions would be much appreciated. It's hard for me to tell in writing what stocks a 55...having never had one or the fish I'll be putting in it.

Pictus cats are a *riot*. I have three. They don't hide during the day, they don't hide at night.. I don't think they even sleep. They just go sailing from one end of the tank to the other, straight over the top of anything that gets in their way, and they feed with the rest of my fish. They DO leave my rainbow shark alone, tho, but I think that's just because his pipe might be a little too skinny for them to race through (or they're afraid of the dark - lol).

When young, they like to stick together, but as they age, they're more independent, and will actually scrap with each other, but they don't hurt each other.

Make sure the ones you buy are *very* active in the tank at the pet store, and you should be more than happy with them. Mine were all sailing up the walls of the tank...

If you get them, I wouldn't have any other bottom feeders, other than your one shark, tho. They need a lot of open room to swim.

Good info, thanks. Do you keep 3 in a 55?

I kept them 3 in a 60 tall.. So, even though mine had 5 more gallons, if yours is a 55 regular, your footprint is WAY better.

Back
Top Bottom