65 gallon build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zach_1_6

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i have an ugly 65 gal tank that i want to re-do. its going to be planted and any advice would help. i tried to upload some pictures, im not sure if they worked or not. anyways, it used to be planted but i didnt know anything about plants so it sorta died out. the remaining plants are in a ten gallon and i did things right anf thety are looking nice. as for fish i want it to be really colourful. i have 6 rainbows, very small, ablino rainbow shark 4", 2 bala sharks 2", raph catfish 4", pictus catfish 2.5", and a few tetra.

tank dementions: 36"x24"x18"
lighting - 1, 25 watt t8 bulb
substrate - mix blue white large gravel, natural colour small gravel
filteration - topfin 60 and aquaclear 50
heating - 200 watt heater

so here is what im planning:

lighting - 2, 96 watt bulbs and fixture
co2 - still deciding on what kind
substrate - eco-complete
fintration - same
heating - same
fish - maybe more rainbows? pleco? school of cardinal tetra?
plants - moss, grass, vals, anubias, swords, crypts
decor - peice of driftwood & plants

so, thats what i have planned, any advice i would enjoy, thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 101_1864.jpg
    101_1864.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 270
  • 101_1865.jpg
    101_1865.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 240
  • 101_1866.jpg
    101_1866.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 226
  • 101_1867.jpg
    101_1867.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 232
update.
driftwood is almost ready.
im going to some lfs's today and i will try and get some eco-complete.
i wll be ordering my lights within a few days and with luck they will arive in a week. i might buy some more rainbows as the ones i just baught are doing well and the store has a good sale on.

Adding plants will really brighten it up, and the driftwood will add some eye pleasing interest. Very nice :)

wood is taking a bit longer then i thougt.
i have akll my fish now, i baught some more rainbows and they are all looking good. no eco-complete at the pet stores but there was flourite but it makes a huge mess and i dont want that. im not sure what plants im going to but they are all so expensive at my lfs, so either online or from a aquatic garden centre. im still deciding what co2 im going to use. hopefully il order my lights today.

just ordered my lights and 60 pounds of eco-complete, so hopefully they will arrive within 3 or 4 days.

update, my lights and eco-complete came in today.
heres some pitures, dont mind the algea i will be doing a good clean when i change the substrate over.

Wow, that's a really good life span so far. How long do they usually live for?
I am anxious to see how your new design comes out :)

im not sure how long they are supposed to live for maybe 6 years? but ive had him for about 4.5 years now. i also have a tetra that old and my catfish. this weekend im going to drain some water clean the tank very well, put the new substarate in, and hopefully the wood will be ready by then aswell.

update: i drained the ater and got the fish out, took out the old substrate and cleaned the glass and filters. put the eco-complete in and washed some rocks. put the rocks in re-added the water and fish and put the new light up. heres some pics, the water is a bit cloudy but it will clear up soon.

Attachments

• 101_1904.jpg
    101_1904.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 186
  • 101_1908.jpg
    101_1908.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 156
  • 101_1909.jpg
    101_1909.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 157
Great! I can tell already that it has the potential to look really nice when your done.

thanks, the water is looking really nice, i still havent decided on what the layout is going to be yet, im just waiting for the wood to finish. it is taking alot longer then i thought.

update: ok so the wood is almosttttttt done finalllyyyyy. i added some small vals, cabomba, and 2 of these other tallish stem plants i dont know the name of. the water is really cleared up now. im getting a little bit of algea but nothing to bad considering 196 watts on a 65 gal. my raph catfish is not very happy with the lack of hiding spots, but he will have that driftwood and some more rocks soon. im going to be adding some java moss, crypts, some more vals, anubias, i think 2 swords, i have 3 right now in another tank, and some sort of low lying plants for the forground. oh and a madagascar lace. i will be making a co2 system soon, and start saving up for a presurized system. i might need to buy another bag of eco-complete, but for now it looks fine. any thoughts on any plants? maybe some dwarf hairgrass?? il get some pictures soon!

Back
Top Bottom