75 gallon predator tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LynxRocks28

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Will a South American leaf fish get along with African butterfly fish, needlenose gar, tire track eel, and 3 badis?

Will a South American leaf fish get along with African butterfly fish, needlenose gar, tire track eel, and 3 badis?

Hm well I think there are some larger issues with your stock we should tackle first!
1.) both leafs could possibly get along if the tank is *heavily planted with tons of cover and you're up to the task of feeding the South American. They're a pain as they only eat live foods, only one person on this forum has one to my knowledge.
2.) the Gar will definitely need a much larger tank further down the road, they're not the biggest ones (thank you for not getting an Alligator!) and cannot get along with everything but possibly the African Leaf.
3.) the Tire Track gets massive, way too big for that tank anyway!
4.) assuming you're talking about Badis Badis and not Dario Dario (scarlet badis, which by the way is one of the smallest percoid fish known as pointed out by Seriously Fish.) Regardless which, either would easily get eaten and should be left out!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What fish would go with the South American leaf fish?

Honestly I wouldn't know, I've not researched them enough but they have insanely large mouths and can and will happily eat a lot. They're generally kept in species only tanks due to their fragile-ness. If you were to get one (finding one would be your biggest hurdle!) you may want to research them and find other fish that share their natural habitat and do sort of biotope tank?

I have found one and I was thinking of doing a biotope more than likely.

I have found one and I was thinking of doing a biotope more than likely.

If you have one lined up, and are willing to meet its very strict dietary standards, then I say do it! Nothin beats a sweet biotope tank, especially one with a fish like that!
Just if you are going down that road leave the other fish previously listed out of the stock ;)

Do your have any recommendations on tank mates?

Fish that won't interfere with feeding or their water needs really. If I were you I'd look them up a little more and see if you can find anything where they're from. Congo Tetras would probably be your best bet, along with the other larger but not belligerent Tetras.

Do you think a crocidile fish and African knife would work?

Honesty I wouldn't do either. The croc is from Asia and would really take away from a cool biotope. The Knife is obviously from well where else so yeah same deal.
Your best bet would likely be keeping him as your sole centerpiece(ish) fish and have some other schoolers. This will keep stress/hassle down.

I wasn't going to do a species only I was planning on having different species of fish I will do research on which species are compaitable.

I wasn't going to do a species only I was planning on having different species of fish I will do research on which species are compaitable.

Ah ok! Well if you're doing that you'd defiantly want to look for fish that again won't interfere with his feeding, nip him or cause stress. Maybe a cool smaller species of Spiny Eel (half banded comes to mind) some type of Pleco and some schoolers? Angels or something may also be a good bet...

I'll look online and at my lfs

I had knifefish, African butterflies, leopard ctenopoma and green spot puffers in my last aquarium and was hoping to incorporate some of those species

I'll look online and at my lfs

I had knifefish, African butterflies, leopard ctenopoma and green spot puffers in my last aquarium and was hoping to incorporate some of those species

The butterflies would probs work, you'd just have the issue of feeding both. Definitely no puffers with him. Possibly the knife but it would probably work again as you could deal with feeding.

We had the butterflies, leaf fish (african) and knife feeding on crickets

If you're going for a biotope though you'll want to stick with South American fish rather than adding in fish from Africa and Asia. Most knifefish that I can think of will be too large for a 75 gallon tank, let alone share it with other fish. The puffers are brackish and the rest of your fish are freshwater. As was pointed out, the Amazon leaf fish only eats live food so you'll need to provide that for them often and any other live fish that won't be a threat to the leaf fish will be threatened by the leaf fish.

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/monocirrhus-polyacanthus/

Here's a link on keeping these fish, they're pretty demanding and you most likely won't be extremely successful in keeping anything but a species only tank. The link suggests some armored catfish may work, but other than that you're going to be very limited.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

If you're going for a biotope though you'll want to stick with South American fish rather than adding in fish from Africa and Asia. Most knifefish that I can think of will be too large for a 75 gallon tank, let alone share it with other fish. The puffers are brackish and the rest of your fish are freshwater. As was pointed out, the Amazon leaf fish only eats live food so you'll need to provide that for them often and any other live fish that won't be a threat to the leaf fish will be threatened by the leaf fish.

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/monocirrhus-polyacanthus/

Here's a link on keeping these fish, they're pretty demanding and you most likely won't be extremely successful in keeping anything but a species only tank. The link suggests some armored catfish may work, but other than that you're going to be very limited.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Very well put. While yes the op can do a mixed tank, if you're going to keep a fish like the SA Leaf it'd be wisest to go the whole way with biotope and stocking.

I think I'll try doing it in a highly planted aquarium, it really doesn't matter if it is a South American biotope

I think I'll try doing it in a highly planted aquarium, it really doesn't matter if it is a South American biotope unless it bugs the fish

I think I'll try doing it in a highly planted aquarium, it really doesn't matter if it is a South American biotope

The leaf would surely enjoy a heavily planted tank....doesn't really have to be exact down to plant species lol. A lot of cover, live plants, proper light with timid tank mates and cover is a darn good tank for em!

Back
Top Bottom