african cichlid for a 20gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vero

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,

My tank is ready to get some fish (well, I am!!!)

I'm looking for 2-3 larger fishes to complete my tank.

My lfs has received Cobalt Cichlid (Melanochromis johannii "maingano") and Pseudotropheus demasoni. They look amazing. They don't get very big (max 4"), like the pH of 8. But it says that they need at least 240 liters (roughly 60gals). I thought they'd be small enough for a 20 gal. Is it because they need to be in large group (I couldn't find info on that). I also couldn't find if they would like community tank. They are not aggressive fish so I though they'd be ok in a community tank.

Does anyone have experience with these?

Are there other african cichlids that would do in my tank?

Thanks
Vero

My aquarium:
It's a 20gal, I keep it at 78F, pH is 8, ammonia and nitrite 0 and nitrate about 5ppm. (I use AP test kits). It is planted (medium) with medium light plants (java fern, java moss, anubias nana, vallisneria, Wendt's Crypt and Wisteria). It has a big piece of mopani wood and a rock (no cavities).

I have a good cleaning crew: 3 otos, 1 borneo, 6 amano shrimps, 1 panda cory and 1 bronze cory.

I have two faithful glowlight tetras.

As you can see, the bottom section is ok. I want to add some more glowlight tetras to get a nice group soon. (or it could be something else depending on what I chose for larger fishes).

IMO no african cichlids will work in a 20 gal. The reason is aggression issues. As far as cichlids go you could look at German Blue rams or Bolivian rams. Africans are too aggressive and will constantly attack each other in a 20 gal.

i have not kept the two species you mentioned but in general african cichlids should be kept only with other african from the same lake. they are in general not community fish. you might have some types that are considered "peaceful" by african standards, but they are most likely still to aggressive and territorial for a normal "community tank"

i think a 20 gal would be fine for a pair of kribs (they are african cichlids, but are not from the rift lakes)

I agree...the African cichlids most people thing of (mostly Mbuna) are too large and/or aggressive for a 20g. I'd go with a pair of kribs.

They are not aggressive fish so I though they'd be ok in a community tank.
Those are two pretty aggressive fish if you ask me...definitely not suited for a 20g tank. A tank around 50 gallons would be better. And they aren't community fish so wouldn't work with the fish you have in there.

You could keep some keyhole cichlids. The africans would not only uproot and probably destroy your plants, but also kill or devour whole your shrimp stock. Besides, most africnas get very large and need swimmimg room. A 20 gallon is inadequate for that purpose. That's my opinion.
Here's a link on how to set up a african community:
http://www.elmersaquarium.com/c106community10malawi.htm
Note they say "large tank"- in my opinion, that translates to a 40 gallon plus size tank.

There are a few species of African cichlids you can keep in a 20, though one species would be much better than trying to mix 2 or more. The Tanganykian shell-dwelling cichlids are small enough, and don't require large territories. I have seen a 20 long with several layers of shells in the bottom, housing several dozen Lamprologus multifasciatus. They are great parents, and tolerate several generations of fry. The young ones do need to be moved out when they grow large enough to breed, but are fine until then. L. brevis are also a good choice, though they aren't quite as protective of their fry as the multi's. L. occelatus, mealagris, and stappersi will also work, but they are harder to establish pairs in a small tank, and will eat their fry.
Alternatively, you could keep a pair of Julidiochromis transcriptus in a 20, they would raise fry as well.

the maingano would need a minimum of 40gL. the demasoni would need to be kept in groups of 12+ to curb their aggression. of course one might work in a 20g, but i'd be hesitant to put it with the other fish in there. they'd probably be butchered.

I tried to keep 6 large (3"-5") african cichlids in a 29 gal once and it was a NIGHTMARE!! (I was new to the world of cichlids) I would have one cichlid that would beat up the others and be the "main" agressor. So I would remove that one and then withing an hour another would assume that role. So basically you would have one cichlid out in all its glory and the rest would be hiding behind plants, heaters, filters, etc.

If you are looking for a good community cichlid, you could also try a kribensis (not a mating pair).

One of the 20G longs that I have will be for shelldwellers - I like the brevis. I do like the julies also so they may end up in the other 20G long. I've done boatloads of research and agree that these are the only species that can work in a 20G.

Back
Top Bottom