Ah, those pet shop employees! Selling fish in spite of themselves.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tnfinfan

Aquarium Advice Freak
Bless them, they believe they are helping, don't they? I went in to look while out shopping and they had (gasp!) Threadfin Rainbow fish. Those are high on my "wish I had" list. Looked at them for a while to gauge heath and they seemed in great shape. Surprisingly good color for being stuck in a pet shop tank. Only one male, though. I asked the guy when they might get more because I would like a decent sized school and there is only one male in his tank. He tried to tell me that they are very hard to sex and the ones I was saying are females are just juveniles that haven't gotten the long fins yet. Riiiiiiiight... :ROFLMAO:

He also tried to sell me Stress Zyme because a cycled tank is "very unstable" and adding a few fish causes the delicate balance to tip and I'll have problems with toxic water if I don't boost the bacteria with something. :facepalm:

I just smiled and told him to catch the one with long fins and three of the others, thanks. I'll just be on the lookout for a few more. They've settled nicely.

Yeah... If they were all the same size/age and one was showing distinctly male fins while the others weren't, he's fooling himself if he truly thinks the others will "grow into them". They can be hard to sex when really small though.

Congrats on the find, I love my school of Threadfins! It's a shame they didn't have at least two males though, they tend to do their fin flicking displays best when they have competition for the girls. Hopefully you'll find some more to add to the school later!

Oh yes, they're full grown or nearly. About 1.5" in the body for the females and slightly larger for the male.

Gunpowder in FL that sells them in pairs. I hate to get fish shipped but if I don't find them again, I could do that, I suppose. Weather would have to settle down first.

Check out aquabid too, or wetspottropicalfish.com (my LFS, but they do ship) :) Lots of good sellers out there!

That fish place in Lancaster Pa has threadfins listed if they are the right ones
Steve2223

I'd be careful about them... I ordered gourami from them that ended up being covered in ich within a week of arriving :( They also refuse to sex their fish, so when I asked for 1 male and 3 females I ended up getting the opposite ratio.

There are a few places online but I really didn't want to order unsexed, pay for shipping, and then get all females, kwim? I'm going to ask at the place that ordered the corydoras I requested and see what they can do. The Schwartz's they got for me are awesome!

Back
Top Bottom