Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmay33

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been trying to grow algae in an aquarium for a long time. Finally have some, but it's brown. I'm growing it for my plecostomas to eat. Is it safe? I don't know anything about it.

Attachments

• image-160529885.jpg
    image-160529885.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 71
It appears to be diatoms. Your pleco is unlikely to care much about it :)

fort384 said:
It appears to be diatoms. Your pleco is unlikely to care much about it :)

Aw man! So my pleco won't clean this for me? LolLol

Nerite snails love diatoms. They can't reproduce in freshwater so you won't get a population explosion. They also eat bio-film, green spot algae, and green dust algae. They are nice little additions to any tank IMO.

I have I problem with brown algae and today I went to my lfs and they recomend me algae eater this person told me they use them to clean the fish tanks of the store nut cam take 2 or 3 days

I never advocate adding an animal to a tank to try to address a problem. Nerites might be an exception - they are pretty innocuous. But putting in an algae eater to "solve" an algae problem does nothing to address the root causes of the issue. Aside from that, most algae eating animals are not going to completely rid a tank of algae.

But nerites I just made research and they can go out of your hands and then going to be 2 problems with overpopulation thas why I choose the first option and they are nice and active fish for my tank

Despirotomatico said:
But nerites I just made research and they can go out of your hands and then going to be 2 problems with overpopulation thas why I choose the first option and they are nice and active fish for my tank

Nerites wont overrun your tank they only reproduce in brackish water

I was growing the algae specifically for my plecostomas.

I've always heard that Plecos aren't actually algae eaters. Algae doesn't even make up any of most Pleco's diets.

I also feed him shrimp pellets and algae wafers. He lives with my cichlids so he probably picks up some other high protein foods from them. I just wanted him to have some natural food. Should I just stop trying to grow algae for him?

My plecostomas.

Attachments

• image-68496295.jpg
    image-68496295.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 59
Back
Top Bottom