algae eaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fisheyes

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Not sure if this is the right place for this but oh well. I have algae and am doing other things to get rid of it but i though that having a litlle algae eating crew couldn't hurt but i'm not sure what to get. My tank is a 55 gal planted, diy co2 with cichlids. The cichlids are the problem because i'm pretty sure they would eat just about anything or pester it to death. Anyone have any suggestions or experience? TIA

What kind of Cichlids? I have a Queen Arabesque pleco who does a little but not really much. But my Tropheus practically live on the stuff. A lot of cichlids are algae grazers.

you cichlidholics hare hard to understand sometimes..LOL
when mentalylost said that there Tropheus live on the stuff they meant..
2 Neolamprologus Tretocephalus
LOL.. Just giving you a hard time there mentalylost!..LOL

You could try a bristlenose pleco. They are great algae eaters and they don't get very big, so they would be very happy in the 55 forever.

My kribensis seemed to leave them alone. Occassionally the female would make him move out of her spot, but he moved so fast, there was never any damage.

I vote for the bristlenose, too. It depends on what kind of cichlids you have and how large they are, but BNs can defend themselves pretty well and are often kept in cichlid tanks.

Let us know if you need help with the issues causing the algae.

How long is your tank light on? Is your tank near a window? I bet if you cut back on the hours you have your light on, that might help.

greenmagi said:
you cichlidholics hare hard to understand sometimes..

The wife and I have been keeping cichlids for a year and a half or so and she still says "oooh, look at the yellow one." Me, I will get a new fish and sit there for an hour or so repeating the name so I can sound like I know what I am talking about. lol

greenmagi,
Have you decided what kind of Rift Lake Africans to keep?

Be careful if you plan on introducing SAE's to an ARLC tank. I learned my lesson when I added 12 small (1-1.5") SAEs to my tank of herbivorous Africans. Even the herbivores had no qualms about feasting on the SAEs. Only two of the 12 SAEs survived the carnage. To make things worse, most of the Africans who ate the SAEs died of bloat. Oh the horror . . . :(

mentallylost said:
greenmagi,
Have you decided what kind of Rift Lake Africans to keep?

Yellow Labs.
Ive had Saulosi, Acei, and Demosoni recommended
And possibly some Peacocks that would get along with the calmer mumbas listed above.
Im wanting to stick with Lake Malawi
Any suggestions please PM or e-mail me

Im thinking that this is off topic :?

TankGirl said:
I vote for the bristlenose, too. It depends on what kind of cichlids you have and how large they are, but BNs can defend themselves pretty well and are often kept in cichlid tanks.

But aren't plecos in general considered detrimental to a planted tank? Does the bristlenose fall into that category?

You're right, some plecos will eat/damage plants, but bristlenose plecos do not harm plants and are one of the best algae eaters available for planted tanks. Now if my LFS would only start carrying them :p

I have three in my 55g planted tank and they are wonderful residents there. I had a bit of trouble when I was trying to get my glosso to root down (the corydoras did not help, either), but now it has and there are no further problems.

Back
Top Bottom