Aquarium Guide Book

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh right. See what I mean about being part way asleep? But not too asleep to write about the basics. :D

Bettababe1011 said:
Oh right. See what I mean about being part way asleep? But not too asleep to write about the basics. :D

Once you have a finished product, I can copy edit it. I'm a JMC major at St. Bonaventure University. I'm currently writing a book as well.

Newspaper full-time for the last 7 years and and occassionally self-published books.

Okay here is what I have so far, it's just a half hours work really, it's not very much. And I know that I have to work on stuff, reword, add more information, but it's a very rough draft.

Introduction To The Freshwater Aquarium

Everyone loves aquariums. They are extremely relaxing to watch, and the sound of running water is just as relaxing. Some people will watch their aquariums for hours. And the plants are an added bonus for gardeners. Once they’ve had a lot of experience with land plants, they can create an underwater garden. All you have to do to keep an aquarium is fill it up, add fish, and feed them once a day, right?
Wrong. Despite what the people at Wal-Mart or Petsmart, or even that nice pet store on Main Street says, aquariums are a lot of work to set up and maintain. But don’t let that discourage you. After the initial set up and cycling process, things will calm down into a harmonious balance.
This book is designed to let you learn what you need to know to have a wonderful aquarium, a piece of nature, right in the middle of your home. You need not read it from cover to cover, though you may if you want. It goes in order along the lines of setup, preparation, and finally adding and taking care of the fish. You can read it in order or skip around to the parts you need to read.

Types Of Freshwater Aquariums

There are five main types of freshwater aquariums, each with their own needs, and they should not be mixed together.

· Tropical Community:
The tropical community is a very relaxing and fun aquarium to have. This includes fish such as zebra danios, neon tetras, platys, guppies, etc. The list goes on and on. Each fish has minimum tank size requirements, care requirements, and should be grouped accordingly. As us fish enthusiasts say, ‘A bigger tank is always better.’ This is to say, even though those fish bowls look so charming, and a fish may survive in one, it will not thrive and it is not right to put a fish in those conditions.

· Cichlid (Sick-lid) Community:
Cichlids come in all forms, shapes, sizes, and colors. There is an endless possibility with these charming fish. The main types of cichlids are African, South American, and Central American. African cichlids generally should not be mixed with South or Central American cichlids. These fish also are generally not good with plants. There are exceptions, but most will uproot plants.

· Goldfish
Goldfish are coldwater fish, doing best in temperatures in the sixties to low seventies. Contrary to popular belief, goldfish cannot live, and most certainly will not thrive, in a fishbowl. Fancy (round bodied) goldfish have a twenty gallon minimum, adding ten gallons per additional fish. Long bodied goldfish, such as commons, comets, and koi should be kept in a pond, and will not do as well in an aquarium. No goldfish should be kept with tropical fish.

· Planted Aquariums:
There are hundreds of aquarium plants, each ranging in needs for light, tank size, and ease of care. In a planted aquarium where plants are the focus, great consideration is taken to choose fish that go with the plants. You don’t want you fish to munch on your plants. Planted tanks can be more expensive than plastic plants, but have twice the amount of rewards. If you are seriously considering doing a planted tank, pay special attention to the plant sections of this guide.

· Predator Tanks:
These tanks include fish such as predatory catfish that will hunt smaller fish. These tanks are exciting, but sometimes need a more experienced aquarist.

Equipment and Setup

It may seem like you only need a tank, a filter and heater, gravel, plants, and food, but there are lots of other things you will need that may not seem as obvious.

· Tank:
The tank is of course the most obvious part of the aquarium. You can’t have an aquarium without it. There are many places to buy an aquarium, such as Wal-Mart, Petsmart, Petco, or your pet store. If the kits at these places seem a little bit above your budget, you can take a look at Craigslist, the newspaper ads, or FreeCycle. You can either buy a kit that includes most of the basics, or you can buy each thing separately. The kit is often easier.

· Stand:
A tank stand rated for your size of tank is a must. The premade stands are built to handle the weight of a full aquarium, often ten to twelve pounds per gallon of water. If you or someone you know knows how to build things such as tank stands, then this could save you a few dollars. Some stands come with a built in cabinet to store food, nets, and other equipment.

· Filter:
A filter is a must for any tank. Often you want a filter that is rated for above your tank’s volume. Some companies rate their filters higher than they actually filter for. The filter also helps oxygenate the water, which is very important.

· Heater:
A heater is a must for most fish. It keeps the water temperature stable and at the desired temperature. It is best to get an adjustable heater, because not all fish are going to live in the same temperatures. Such as Bettas, who thrive in the range of 78*--82*, and goldfish, who thrive in lower temperatures.

· Hood:
Most fish will jump if given the chance, so a hood is a good idea. A hood also keeps evaporation to a minimum and keeps other pets, such as cats, from getting into the aquarium. The hood also holds the lights.

· Lights:
If you want plants, lights are a must. You may have to upgrade from the stock lights (the lights that come with the hood and/or aquarium kit) if you want some of the higher light plants. These can certainly be one of the more expensive things in the hobby, but it is a very good investment.

· Test Kit:
It may seem perfect when the store tells you that they can test your water for you, but it’s very important to also test it yourself. The strips may seem easy; you just dip it in and look at it, and they’re cheap. But they are also very inaccurate and will often give readings that are lower than they really are. One of the best test kits is the API Master Test Kit. It is a liquid test kit that is very accurate. It normally costs around thirty dollars, but is a great investment with many tests. It is vital to know your parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and pH), because these, if above proper levels, can be deadly to your aquatic friends.

So? What do you think? Some things are bolded and underlined in the actual document, but I changed them here to be more simple.

Bettababe1011 said:
Okay here is what I have so far, it's just a half hours work really, it's not very much. And I know that I have to work on stuff, reword, add more information, but it's a very rough draft.

Introduction To The Freshwater Aquarium

Everyone loves aquariums. They are extremely relaxing to watch, and the sound of running water is just as relaxing. Some people will watch their aquariums for hours. And the plants are an added bonus for gardeners. Once they’ve had a lot of experience with land plants, they can create an underwater garden. All you have to do to keep an aquarium is fill it up, add fish, and feed them once a day, right?
Wrong. Despite what the people at Wal-Mart or Petsmart, or even that nice pet store on Main Street says, aquariums are a lot of work to set up and maintain. But don’t let that discourage you. After the initial set up and cycling process, things will calm down into a harmonious balance.
This book is designed to let you learn what you need to know to have a wonderful aquarium, a piece of nature, right in the middle of your home. You need not read it from cover to cover, though you may if you want. It goes in order along the lines of setup, preparation, and finally adding and taking care of the fish. You can read it in order or skip around to the parts you need to read.

Types Of Freshwater Aquariums

There are five main types of freshwater aquariums, each with their own needs, and they should not be mixed together.

· Tropical Community:
The tropical community is a very relaxing and fun aquarium to have. This includes fish such as zebra danios, neon tetras, platys, guppies, etc. The list goes on and on. Each fish has minimum tank size requirements, care requirements, and should be grouped accordingly. As us fish enthusiasts say, ‘A bigger tank is always better.’ This is to say, even though those fish bowls look so charming, and a fish may survive in one, it will not thrive and it is not right to put a fish in those conditions.

· Cichlid (Sick-lid) Community:
Cichlids come in all forms, shapes, sizes, and colors. There is an endless possibility with these charming fish. The main types of cichlids are African, South American, and Central American. African cichlids generally should not be mixed with South or Central American cichlids. These fish also are generally not good with plants. There are exceptions, but most will uproot plants.

· Goldfish
Goldfish are coldwater fish, doing best in temperatures in the sixties to low seventies. Contrary to popular belief, goldfish cannot live, and most certainly will not thrive, in a fishbowl. Fancy (round bodied) goldfish have a twenty gallon minimum, adding ten gallons per additional fish. Long bodied goldfish, such as commons, comets, and koi should be kept in a pond, and will not do as well in an aquarium. No goldfish should be kept with tropical fish.

· Planted Aquariums:
There are hundreds of aquarium plants, each ranging in needs for light, tank size, and ease of care. In a planted aquarium where plants are the focus, great consideration is taken to choose fish that go with the plants. You don’t want you fish to munch on your plants. Planted tanks can be more expensive than plastic plants, but have twice the amount of rewards. If you are seriously considering doing a planted tank, pay special attention to the plant sections of this guide.

· Predator Tanks:
These tanks include fish such as predatory catfish that will hunt smaller fish. These tanks are exciting, but sometimes need a more experienced aquarist.

Equipment and Setup

It may seem like you only need a tank, a filter and heater, gravel, plants, and food, but there are lots of other things you will need that may not seem as obvious.

· Tank:
The tank is of course the most obvious part of the aquarium. You can’t have an aquarium without it. There are many places to buy an aquarium, such as Wal-Mart, Petsmart, Petco, or your pet store. If the kits at these places seem a little bit above your budget, you can take a look at Craigslist, the newspaper ads, or FreeCycle. You can either buy a kit that includes most of the basics, or you can buy each thing separately. The kit is often easier.

· Stand:
A tank stand rated for your size of tank is a must. The premade stands are built to handle the weight of a full aquarium, often ten to twelve pounds per gallon of water. If you or someone you know knows how to build things such as tank stands, then this could save you a few dollars. Some stands come with a built in cabinet to store food, nets, and other equipment.

· Filter:
A filter is a must for any tank. Often you want a filter that is rated for above your tank’s volume. Some companies rate their filters higher than they actually filter for. The filter also helps oxygenate the water, which is very important.

· Heater:
A heater is a must for most fish. It keeps the water temperature stable and at the desired temperature. It is best to get an adjustable heater, because not all fish are going to live in the same temperatures. Such as Bettas, who thrive in the range of 78*--82*, and goldfish, who thrive in lower temperatures.

· Hood:
Most fish will jump if given the chance, so a hood is a good idea. A hood also keeps evaporation to a minimum and keeps other pets, such as cats, from getting into the aquarium. The hood also holds the lights.

· Lights:
If you want plants, lights are a must. You may have to upgrade from the stock lights (the lights that come with the hood and/or aquarium kit) if you want some of the higher light plants. These can certainly be one of the more expensive things in the hobby, but it is a very good investment.

· Test Kit:
It may seem perfect when the store tells you that they can test your water for you, but it’s very important to also test it yourself. The strips may seem easy; you just dip it in and look at it, and they’re cheap. But they are also very inaccurate and will often give readings that are lower than they really are. One of the best test kits is the API Master Test Kit. It is a liquid test kit that is very accurate. It normally costs around thirty dollars, but is a great investment with many tests. It is vital to know your parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and pH), because these, if above proper levels, can be deadly to your aquatic friends.

So? What do you think? Some things are bolded and underlined in the actual document, but I changed them here to be more simple.

I think those are good ideas, but you may find there is just so much information, you have to focus in even more.

mudraker said:
Newspaper full-time for the last 7 years and and occassionally self-published books.

Not to jack the thread, what newspaper and what school did you go to?

MABJ said:
I think those are good ideas, but you may find there is just so much information, you have to focus in even more.

Yeah. Like I said, it's just basically an outline. More info will be added.

It looks like you have some really good information. The most difficult thing will be getting everything organized just the way you want it.

adadkins1 said:
It looks like you have some really good information. The most difficult thing will be getting everything organized just the way you want it.

Yup. After I get everything written I can rearrange and stuff. I'm so excited to actually get more done on this!! I'll keep you guys updated.

Back
Top Bottom