Are there any eel like fish (long bodied fish) that i could keep in a comunity tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike47517

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone

Well i really like eel like fish such as the FW eels, Bichir, and the dojo loach. Those are just a couple of examples. I have looked up a bunch of types of eels and things thal have long bodys, but i cant find any thing that could go in a tropical fish community tank. Is there any type of eel like fish that i could keep in a community tank. All the eel like fish i have seen and researched have been said that they would snag up any little fish that they could caatch. Are there any that wouldnt do this, and could be housed in a community tank. Thanks in advance for all help.

They look great. And their small too. Could i keep them with any non aggressive fish such as live bearers, tetras, and corys? Do you think i could find them at my lfs? What would be a good tank size for them 20 gallon or so? or could i throw some in my 10 gallon?

oh ok. what about tank size could i throw some in my 10 gallon tank or do they need something bigger like a 20+ tank? Sorry for all th Q's i have no experience with this ttype of fish.

Khuli's would be just fine in a 10g since they do not get very big, around 4" and stay relatively thin in diameter. Don't expect to see them often, they prefer to burrow within sand (soft substrate) and under decor.

mine like to hang out on top of plants from time to time. personally i like to put them in bigger schools in 20 gal plus tanks but thats just me.

OK thanks guys. I'll go look for some next time i go lfs. Does anyone know of any other eel like fish that would be ok in a community tank?

I've kept spiny eels before they stay outside inches and thin like a pencil

I've kept spiny eels before they stay outside inches and thin like a pencil I believe they were zigzag eels

i have a peacock eel, it is still small - also gets along great with all my other fish, pretty much still only eats frozen food after a whole year...

fire eel is an awesome community fish to keep. the only problem is that they grow up to 36 inches so you need at least a 55gal tank. also, you should not have sharp lava type rocks or rocky substrate, they like to burrow and they are prone to infections due to scrapes acqired from them. you should use a sandy substrate. lastly, when they are at their largest size, they will, occassionally, eat fish that can fit in their mouths. So, if you properly stock the tank, it wont be an issue.

i have a peacock eel, it is still small - also gets along great with all my other fish, pretty much still only eats frozen food after a whole year...

peacock eel is also know as the snowflake eel (i beleive), and like the fire eel, they get very long. min tank size needs to be at least 55gals.

Back
Top Bottom