Betta Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rubysoho

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, I'm not sure whether I should put this question here or in the general discussion, so I am sorry if it is in the wrong place.

My buddy got a male betta from our LFS back in March. Since then, the betta's dorsal fin all but came off, but then it grew back long and beautiful. Then a little while later, the betta's tail did the exact same thing! Now it is long beautiful as well. Is this something that is suppose to happen in Bettas? I've never heard of it. I don't think it was fin rot becaus my friend said that randomly the fin was nearly gone, almost overnight. He has a banana plant and some anachris in the 5 gal. betta hex. tank. Any ideas? The betta is happy as can be and blowing bubble nests so I know he is very healthy now. It was just really strange.

thanks!

No, a Bettas tail is not supposed to be eaten away, and the grow back :lol: I don't know why it happens like that.

Are there any other fish in the tank with the betta? Fin-Nippers?

Perhaps something nipped his fins off...which would happen over night...

Wow, that's strange. But My friend had that happen, too. She said the betta had long, flowing fins and then one day they pretty much FELL off and then he grew a shorter, but perfect rounded tail.
The other interesting thing is that one of my bettas is losing pieces of his tail (which is a good 3 inches long- HUGE). Yet they're just strips from in between the "veins", if you will. So now he's looking like a crowntail. I change the water every week, and have for the 6 months I've had him. Who knows what's going on! :? :D

hmmm... well the Betta is the only fish in the tank, and no shrimp or snails (I tried getting rid of a few of my many snails to my buddy, but he was too smart for that one) so there is nothing munching on his fins. It's weird. And just like frshwaterfinatc friend's betta, the fins pretty much just fell off. I guess this one gets tossed into the fish tank mysteries pile.

Weird, i've never heard of anything like that before. Maybe somekinda advanced fin rot??? Or maybe he decided to shed that fin and grow a better one :lol:

There is a similer thing that happens to a lot of bettas (tho ive never heard of it in petstore fish, its mostly in HMs) where pieces of the tail just seem to dissapear. Its called blowing their tail. But the whole thing doesn't come off, just peices. Which it sounds like yours -frshwaterfinatc- is doing.

ashley

Back
Top Bottom