Betta tankmate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alexwm125

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I would like to add a tankmate or two to my Betta tank. It's a 3 gallon. Ammonia 0 nitrIte 0 nitrAte 10

There is a small amount of algae. No problem for me or anything but it made me think of a snail. I don't test my ph but idk if that matters.

I was wondering if a Betta would bother a nerite snail or two? I love all of the patterns they come in and that they stay small.
Other option is shrimp but I think they'll be a snack and that's sad to me so no :(

29g Community

3g Betta

This is what I want. I would be fine with 1 as long as the Betta won't injure him.
I had an apple snail about a year ago and my DG male ate his tentacles off, shortly after he died. I don't want a repeat!!
http://i.imgur.com/atZlZJ9.jpg

29g Community

3g Betta

Having the tentacles bitten off shouldn't kill a snail. They grow back. It would have been something else that caused your snail to die. My betta bit the temtacles off of my mystery snails and the snails didn't even flinch, they seemed like they had no idea it happened. Whether or not your betta would do okay with a nerite is 50/50. They're smaller and not as noticeable as apple snails, so it has that going for it, their tentacles don't look as much like worms. Just give it a shot.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

My betta lived with a bumblebee nerite, never bother it at all!

Oooo shoot then I wonder what it was that killed him? I'm always concluded that It was him getting picked on. Could it have been ph or something I've never checked it. Or does it matter much. Ie water being to soft for shell production.

29g Community

3g Betta

I'm going to look at the LFS today and see if they have any! :) just need a little algae control, very minor. And I think they are amazingly colored. Any other cool variations I should ask about? The fish store near me has a rather large selection but it's super unorganized. So you have to know what to ask for and get shown where it is. No joke hundreds of tanks can't find anything!!!

29g Community

3g Betta

I would just see what the store has. It seems like names of colors and patterns can vary by store, website, etc.

And make sure you post a pic!

My overly aggressive murdering everything betta is fine with the snail I bought for his tank's algae control. He gets visibly irritated whenever he realizes it's a living thing in his tank and not a rock, but he never manages to harm the snail :) It's a safe way to go, just gotta make sure your water balance is good and if you are using ferts for any live plants that you are careful with them.

I have a red onion nerite. It's a beauty!

Tri colors are cool.

And just to prove Teresa's point, I had to look up a red onion nerite that was mentioned. I have the same one but it was called tiger blood at the store I got it from.

Pretty much....I think it's due to misinformation or lack of education on the species in general. My onion was called a zebra nerite in the store, but I am pretty sure those have obvious stripes and not dots haha

Tri colors are cool.

And just to prove Teresa's point, I had to look up a red onion nerite that was mentioned. I have the same one but it was called tiger blood at the store I got it from.

Very cool. Just looked up the tricolor one. Since I'm only getting one I want to make sure I really like the coloration. Going to the store soon

29g Community

3g Betta

I went and no nerites!!!!! What! I was super surprised. It was because they are receiving a shipment tomorrow and someone came in yesterday and bought them out. So I'm going back Saturday to see what I can get. I'll post a pic here when I do.

29g Community

3g Betta

I keep a nerite in a 3 gallon with a betta.

3 gallons is really pushing it even with good water keeping habits (like full test tube testing every week and 50% water changes twice a week). Mine didn't stay clean and algae free till I added live plants.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

nice! my bettas live fine with nerites as well, and they're each in 5 gallon tanks. :) that snail looks very similar to my red tiger blood nerite! :D good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom